Sexist jokes

Paul
2014-07-01
2014-07-24
  • Paul
    Paul
    2014-07-01

I have just checked release 6.6.7 dated 24th June 2014 and the undesirable content is still present.
    There was a release 6.6.6 but was fixed because it crashed.
    That is two releases since the 7th June news item which read:

"All the sexist jokes will be removed from the next release and such jokes will never be in Notepad++ binary."

We are a large organisation and have recommended NotePad++ as our text editor of choice for our development engineers.

We have received complaints (from both men and women) on the sexist jokes and they are savvy enough to use NotePad++ to examine its own source code, and have highlighted (and are tracking) all such jokes. If these are not removed we will review the competitors text editors for a new "preferred text editor". That is not a threat, it is simply a statement of intention if the issue cannot be resolved.

Regards
    Paul http://eric.greenlnk.net/applications/phonebook/index.asp?ID=1009159

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
    recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
    recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
    You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
    distribute its contents to any other person.

Attachments
    • Don HO
      Don HO
      2014-07-03

Paul,

I am the author of Notepad++.
      I confirm you that all the sexist jokes are removed from the v6.6.6 and upper versions. However, the other geek jokes remain.

An official appology has been published in Notepad++ official site as well:
      http://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/response-and-apology-4-sexist-jokes.html

Of course, it's your free choice to review the other competitors text editors for a new "preferred text editor", just as it's my free choice to remove all sexist jokes.

Regards,
      Don HO

Last edit: Don HO 2014-07-03
    • Paul
      Paul
      2014-07-24

NUDGE

Regards
      Paul Cooperhttp://eric.greenlnk.net/applications/phonebook/index.asp?ID=1009159

Cost Based Management and Recovery, Enterprise IT Services
      Shared Services

T +44 (0)1245 702790 |M +44 (0)7793 422327
      E andrew.p.cooper@baesystems.comandrew.p.cooper@baesystems.com / www.baesystems.comhttp://www.baesystems.com/

BAE Systems plc. Registered Office: 6 Carlton Gardens, London, SW1Y 5AD, UK. Registered in England & Wales No: 1470151

Sent: 01 July 2014 13:32
      To: 331753@discussion.notepad-plus.p.re.sf.net
      Subject: Sexist jokes

I have just checked release 6.6.7 dated 24th June 2014 and the undesirable content is still present.
      There was a release 6.6.6 but was fixed because it crashed.
      That is two releases since the 7th June news item which read:

"All the sexist jokes will be removed from the next release and such jokes will never be in Notepad++ binary."

We are a large organisation and have recommended NotePad++ as our text editor of choice for our development engineers.

We have received complaints (from both men and women) on the sexist jokes and they are savvy enough to use NotePad++ to examine its own source code, and have highlighted (and are tracking) all such jokes. If these are not removed we will review the competitors text editors for a new "preferred text editor". That is not a threat, it is simply a statement of intention if the issue cannot be resolved.

Regards
      Paul http://eric.greenlnk.net/applications/phonebook/index.asp?ID=1009159

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
      recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
      recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
      You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
      distribute its contents to any other person.

Attachments
      • Loreia2
        Loreia2
        2014-07-24

Hi Paul,

you need to be specific which jokes are the problem for your organization. Don removed all jokes that were specifically outlined as "sexist". If you are getting complaints about the remaining jokes, please list theme here.

Regards,
        Loreia

• dail8859
    dail8859
    2014-07-01

There have been several discussions about the content of the jokes within the source code so I will address your post in more general terms to avoid any more debates.

Since Notepad++ is released under the GPL license, this gives you the opportunity to add/modify/remove any code as you like. If your are not wanting to switch text editors but still wanting this issue addressed, it may be beneficial to distribute your own modified version.

I mean no disregard to your concern and am trying to address it respectfully, and do not want to speak for Don Ho as to why the jokes have or have not been removed.

• DV
    DV
    2014-07-03

To all the people who complain regarding these "sexist jokes":
    Hey, did you EVER read the GNU license - and, in particular, what is written in Notepad++'s About dialog? Let me quote it for you:
    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    Isn't it clear enough? The author produces the program for free, without any profit from users, just sharing it with others - so why do you think you are in a position to forbid the author to write his freeware program in the way he likes? Can you explain it? Also, why on Earth someone needs to open a binary executable and search for "sexist jokes" in it? What is the sense of this?

• Fool4UAnyway
    Fool4UAnyway
    2014-07-06

I really, really like all the humorous content in Notepad++, be it the program itself or its source code.

Would anyone consider writing a PlugIn that allows to keep viewing these beautiful texts?