Impossible to change comment char ASP / VB

Anonymous
2011-06-22
2012-11-14

• Anonymous
    2011-06-22

Hi,

I have spend hours trying to change the ' to // for use as commentline in ASP.  I've found that every keyword between ASP tags can be found in the langs.xml from the User directory.

Only changing the commentLine attribute from "REM" to "//" at the Language name="vb" and changing "'" to "//" at the Language name="ASP" don't do anything, and I'm still stuck with apostrophe as comment line indicator.

I've also tried changing langs.xml in the Program Files directory.  Also I restart after everytime I change the langs.xml file.

After every new version I try the same thing and have been doing for more than a year.

What am I doing wrong ?  Is there a restriction or a bug ?

Thanks for anyone who wants to solve this mystery :)

Regards,

• Anonymous
    2011-08-29

Have you tried closing the file you are looking at and reopening it? You may try editing the langs.model.xml file as well.

• Giu
    Giu
    2012-10-30

Probably you have already solved it but I have had the same problem and I have solved it by editing the langs.xml file.
    My doubt is, did you change the right langs.xml file? actually there are two oh them.  When you install notepad++, one of the last options ask about using the %appdata% directory to store the application setting or using the program folder. Thus according to your choice at the installation phase you should change one of the two langs.xml file present. The possible locations tipically are:
    1) C:\Program Files\notepad++\langs.xml
    2) C:\Documents and Settings\youruser\Application Data\Notepad++\langs.xml
    Hope it will help.

Regards,

G

• Giu
    Giu
    2012-10-30

Sorry disregard my comment,
    you have just tried both location. Wanted to delete my reply but I cannot find how