• Don HO
    Don HO
    2010-11-08

Welcome to Scripting

• Vikash Gupta
    Vikash Gupta
    2010-11-09

Thanks Don n Team

I will be happy if VBS is also included as scripting language.

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-11-09

So let's review what are the abilities to automate sequences of actions:
    * the macro system - many Scintilla commands can be sent by proper editing of shortcuts.xml
    * NppExec plugin - sends any N++/Scintilla command
    * SimpleScript plugin - sort of a programming language dedicated to N++. Unfortunately, the plugin is not maintained and is ANSI only.
    * AwkPlugin can store and organise AWK scripts. It is ANSI only.
    * NppJavaScript plugin - Javascript macros
    * PHP Automation - can execute PHP scripts on its own HTTP server. Has a script repository.
    * NppScripting plugin - many small scripts organised in menus that are included as .js files
    * Python Script plugin - Python scripting for Notepad++. The project site has a forum dedicated to scripting.
    * RunMe plugin - can have an opened docuent executed as a script on any external script engine available
    * sed is a windowless, scriptable editor, so most of the above can invoke it

So basically the sky is the limit.

CChris

• Patrick Forkin
    Patrick Forkin
    2011-01-09

Hallo!
    When one has not learned to program or to write scripts, the beginning process is alsways difficult.
    I fit into this category.
    To start, I need to have access to a collection of scripts that I can 'play' with and so learn.
    Where can I find such on Javascript, that I can experiment with using Notepad++. But where?
    Finding an easy to understand eBook on Javascript would also help. Which one?
    For any useful suggestions, I would be grateful.
    Kind regards and thanks, Patrick Forkin.

• For the javascript plugin I'm not sure, but for Python, it comes with some sample scripts to do common things that you can play with.  The helpfile also has an introduction to Python, giving you the basics of what you can do.  If there's something you feel is missing from this, or a sample script that would be useful, then please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Good luck!

Dave.

• Anonymous
    2011-02-01

http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
    You can find a lot of resources if you go through W3C (World-Wide Web Consortium) which is responsible for the creation and management of many web standards which include HTML (XHTML), CSS, and XML.
    And http://javascript.com also has many good resources and tutorials…

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to learn.

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-02-15

And if you have installed NppScripting, the Includes subfolder has a number of .js for you to study - or edit, for instance so as to change bound hotkeys.

CChris

• etylocus
    etylocus
    2011-08-30

@cchris
    The Javascript implementation are a)rather poor in functionality or b)completely undocumented, and not maintained anymore.
    PHP Automation hasn't been updated in quite a while, the set up is rather faulty (I have a non standard folder installation notepad, plus my program files folder name is localized: I had to actually create a folder in the C drive for the sqlite extension to get it working) plus other issues, so these aren't viable solutions for running scripts from within N++.

• cchris
    cchris
    2012-07-01

1/ Just a reminder: plugins are developed in totally independent projects. So they have a life of their own, and, being small projects, tend to wither and blossom again later. The alternative to this unstable state is integrated abilities, which require much more development and maintainance. Don has chosen the former route. Both have issues.
    2/ Update regarding my earlier list of available scripting plugins :
    * NppScripting is now jN
    * There is a very recent NppSharp plugin to script N++ using C#.

CChris

• Daniel Monja
    Daniel Monja
    2012-07-27

Is VBS a dying scripting language? I've got no complaints about the state of Notepad++ scripting abilities, I mean heck there are three to choose from. I am just curious as to why VBS has not been chosen to be included since it's easy to learn and I think that a lot of people learn that before moving on to bigger and better things. Anyway, hope to be able to spend some time learning some Python which I haven't touched thanks to being a long time (sadly) UltraEdit user.