Menu

Moving to SVN and NitrOS-9 V3.3.0

Developers
2010-03-30
2013-05-16
  • Boisy Pitre

Boisy Pitre - 2010-03-30

All,

I would like to move away from using CVS and toward moving SVN as our preferred source code control mechanism for this project.  The main reason is that CVS does not allow for the deleting of directories, but SVN does.  Deleting directories in source control systems is important, and right now if we change our mind about the directory structure of a particular place in the project, we have to ask SF admins to remove the folder manually.  It is a pain.

Right now I'm not sure if we can bring over the history of all the files in CVS over into SVN.  I'm not too concerned because we can leave the CVS repository online and just prevent commits.

I would like to coincide this move to SVN with a release of the next version of NitrOS-9, V3.3.0.  We are at 3.2.8 and 3.2.9 has been used to test DW4.  I would like to expand the bootable disk images to include DriveWire disk images as an integral part of the project.

Your thoughts?

• Robert Gault

Robert Gault - 2010-03-30

Well, since MESS is using SVN which I have installed on my Windows system, a move to SVN by the NitrOS-9 project should not present any problems.

• Gene Heskett

Gene Heskett - 2010-03-30

Suits me too, gofer it.

• Aaron Wolfe

Aaron Wolfe - 2010-03-30

i'm on board, don't see any downsides from here.

• Boisy Pitre

Boisy Pitre - 2010-03-30

Well, I discovered that through some tools on SF's shell service, I can manipulate the CVS repository myself, and did that this morning.

3rdparty/libs has been removed; alib now resides in lib/alib
    3rdparty/packages/drivewire has been removed; all drivewire modules and commands are in level1/modules and level1/cmds
    6309l2 has been removed; this is now replaced by level3

I would still like to move to SVN, however.  I'm exploring how to do that without destroying all the history that we've built up in the CVS sources.

• Gene Heskett

Gene Heskett - 2010-03-30

Except I was never able to make a working level3 boot.  That doesn't seem to have been helpful.

• Robert Gault

Robert Gault - 2010-03-30

"6309l2 has been removed; this is now replaced by level3"
    Maybe I don't understand this or it is a typo. Level2 and Level3 are different beasts. It is not just the presence of a 6309 that makes Level3 different.

I think 6309 Level2 should be in Level2 and versions of Level3 6809/6309 should be in Level3.

• Boisy Pitre

Boisy Pitre - 2010-03-30

Sorry, this was a typo… 6309l3 has been removed.  My bad.

• Christopher Hawks

Works for me! As long as we do not move to RCS 8^)

• Jim Hathaway

Jim Hathaway - 2010-03-31

SVN and drivewire disk images both sound great to me.

• Lothan

Lothan - 2010-03-31

Boisy, browse to https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Subversion%20import%20instructions and read the instructions on using cvs2svn to create a Subversion dump file. Once you have the Subversion dump file, you just basically run svn load to import the repository with all existing history intact.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel