thoughts on running NitrOS-9 on other 6809 platforms?

Developers
2014-04-18
2014-04-25
  • James Spears
    James Spears
    2014-04-18

Greetings,

I am wondering if it would be feasible to run NitrOS-9 on other 6809 platforms? in particular I have a Percom SBC/9 in SWTPC SS-50 based system. I tried bringing the system up after 20+ years of sitting idle and found that none of the floppies were viable, so I am thinking of either converting it to Flex/9 or NitrOS-9. The system would have to run in 48k Ram, 13k EPROM and a serial link to a host pc.

Thanks, for you thoughts.
    --James.

• Tormod Volden
    Tormod Volden
    2014-04-19

Hi James,
    Yes, it should be possible to run Level 1 on such a system. You will need to port I/O routines of course. And your system needs to provide a periodic (e.g. 50 Hz) IRQ for the scheduling. 48 KB should not be too much of a handicap vs 64 KB since you can stuff the more permanent modules (kernel etc) into the EPROM. The current rominfo.asm and boot_rom.asm code copies everything from ROM into lower RAM before the system goes all-RAM and then relocates the bootfile again, but this should be relatively easy to tweak.

I kind of expect the N8VEM group to look at porting NitrOS-9 to their new 6809 SBC some time soon (but they may also target Level 2 since they have a MMU). I have also been contacted by individuals interested in ported it to their homebrew systems.

• James Spears
    James Spears
    2014-04-22

So getting started with this I thought I'd just build as directed.
    the make for level1/coco1/cmds has a problem for me.
    I did not see anything obvious so I thought I'd ask.

C:\6809\NitrOS9\nitros9>pushd level1\coco1\cmds

C:\6809\NitrOS9\nitros9\level1\coco1\cmds>make
    make: *** No rule to make target asm', needed byall'. Stop.

C:\6809\NitrOS9\nitros9\level1\coco1\cmds>

• Tormod Volden
    Tormod Volden
    2014-04-23

There must be a problem with your build environment. Running "make -n -d -r" might give some clue. Other than that please provide more information about what you did prior to typing "make".

• James Spears
    James Spears
    2014-04-23

1) set http_proxy so I can get to http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code
    2) cloned http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code
    3) cd into the cloned dir.
    4) set path to include lwtools and toolshed
    5) set NITROS9DIR the the full path to the current dir
    6) make dsk

what I noticed looking at things is that make file in level1\coco1\cmds the 'all' target refers to a list of utility commands (asm etc.) but the sources appear to be in level1\cmds i am amusing that the vpath directive "vpath %.asm $(LEVEL1)/cmds:$(NITROS9DIR)/3rdparty/packages/basic09" in the make file takes care of this
    so am thinking that the version MinGW make that I have is older and may not support this.
    make -v reports "GNU Make 3.81"

--james.

• James Spears
    James Spears
    2014-04-25

That was it.
    Thanks,
    --James.

Last edit: James Spears 2014-04-25