Trouble With Windows

Help
2011-05-09
2013-06-12
  • Merlin Skinner
    Merlin Skinner
    2011-05-09

I'm trying to use the ngspice22_100926.zip pre-build Windows version of ngspice, but receive an uphelpful "C:\Spice\bin\ngspice.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."

Event viewer lists the following "SideBySide" errors:
    "Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.OpenMP could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

and

"Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Spice\bin\ngspice.exe. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

The operating system is Windows XP Professional x64 SP2.

Any ideas appreciated!

• Holger Vogt
    Holger Vogt
    2011-05-11

You will need VCOMP90.DLL, coming with the distribution.

Put the dll into the bin directory of ngspice.exe.

If that does not work, try putting it into c:\Windows\system32.

Regards

Holger

• k joardar
    k joardar
    2012-03-13

I am experiencing the same problem. I have tried moving the vcomp90.dll to c:\windows\sstem32 but that did not help. Could you please help? Thanks.

• Kevin Szabo
    Kevin Szabo
    2012-11-26

Hi, I also had this problem.  It apparently is a typical issue when the microsoft runtimes are not distributed or installed.

I went to this link and downloaded an updated set of runtimes for my machine (I am running Xp, 32 bit).  After I installed it I stopped getting the dreaded "application configuration error".  One bonus (for me) is that I learned to use the Event Viewer in XP to see what else is happening on my system.  Start >> Admin Tools >> Event Viewer.  Good Stuff!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26368

"Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update"