----------------------

I tried setting the NETGENDIR environment variable to :

1) D:/Programs/Netgen/netgen/windows/Release
    2) D:/Programs/Netgen/netgen/windows
    3) D:/Programs/Netgen/netgen
    4) D:/Programs/Netgen

...but none of this worked.

How to solve this problem ?

Should I also run one of the postBuild*.bat files after Netgen compilation ?

Thanks for any help.

• Solved.

Contrarily to what is being said in the wiki, on MS Windows the folder with the compiled netgen.exe executable is not
      <active configuration>-bin
      but
      <active configuration>-inst,
      where are also copied the necessary tcl scripts.

In my case the netgen exectuable to launch is in
      D:\Programs\Netgen\netgen\windows\Release-inst
      So, I used this path to set the NETGENDIR variable.

Some confusion can come from the fact that netgen.exe also exist in D:\Programs\Netgen\netgen\windows\Release
      (without the "inst" suffix).

Hope this will help other newbies.

Julien

• Hi,

The postBuild script is run automatically by Microsoft Visual C++ once Netgen has been successfully compiled... unless ofcourse, you are not using the Microsoft Visual C++ Solution file provided in the Netgen sources.

The postBuild script basically copies the generated executable file, as well as all the required tcl script files into the "<configuration>-bin" folder, so that once the paths to the TCL/Tk, Togl, pthreads and Opencascade DLLs have been specified in your Windows PATH environment variable, everything works without any further user intervention.

Running the netgen.exe file present in the "<configuration>" folder will result in an error, because the Tcl script files will not be found...

The easiest and least painful solution is to ensure that the compilation and post-build processes run successfully in Microsoft Visual C++.... once this is ensured, running the netgen.exe file in the "<configuration>-bin" folder will give you the Netgen GUI.

Philippose