Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

How to add fixed edges to STL geometry?

DmitryVK
2012-02-29
2013-05-27
  • DmitryVK
    DmitryVK
    2012-02-29

Hello!

I got the same question as in "Constrain edges in 2D or STL meshing" thread from 2011-05-03 06:34:14 PDT. Can I prevent some edges from STL geometry from moving?

I tried to use Ng_STL_AddEdge, but can not get expected result. I do like the following:
    Ng_STL_Geometry * geo = Ng_STL_NewGeometry();
    // Add triengles. The figure is a tetrahedron. One its of edges is divided into 10 segments, so the figure is described with 22 triangles
    for(…) {
      Ng_STL_AddTriangle(geo, p1, p2, p3, n);
    }
    // add 10 segments (from tetrahedron's edge division) and 5 other edges. A total of 15 edges.
    for(…) {
      Ng_STL_AddEdge( geo, p1, p2);
    }
    Ng_Result res = Ng_STL_InitSTLGeometry( geo );

res = Ng_STL_GenerateSurfaceMesh( geom, ngMesh, &meshingParams );
    Ng_SaveMesh( ngMesh, "testMesh_Surf.vol" );

the mesh is empty.
    If I use Ng_STL_MakeEdges( geom, ngMesh, &meshingParams ); I get good not empty mesh, but it does not contain edges which I defined before geometry initialization.

Could you help me to solve this problem, please?

Thank you in advance!

• DmitryVK
    DmitryVK
    2012-03-03

Sorry for missing some details. I use Netgen 4.9.14 on Windows 7 OS.
    Your help is really important for me!

• Ibán Cereijo
    Ibán Cereijo
    2012-03-15

I had a similar problem.
    This is my invocation sequence:

geom = Ng_STL_NewGeometry();
    Ng_STL_AddTriangle(geom, ...);
    Ng_STL_AddTriangle(geom, ...);
    Ng_STL_AddEdge(geom, ...);
    Ng_STL_AddEdge(geom, ...);
    Ng_STL_InitSTLGeometry(geom);
    Ng_STL_MakeEdges(geom, ...)

The Ng_STL_AddEdge sentences seemed to be useless, until I realized that Ng_STL_InitSTLGeometry was complaining with the following error messages:

ERROR: edgepoint does not exist!
     p=[0.5, -0.5, 0.15]
    ERROR: edgepoint does not exist!
     p=[-0.5, -0.5, 0.15]

The point here is that the above points, p=, p=, …, were introduced via Ng_STL_AddEdge in a previous geometry, invalidating the new edges added to this geometry. Turns out that nglib stores the edges in a static vector. Indeed, in nglib.cpp, there is an array

Array<Point<3> > readedges;

which is only cleared in function Ng_STL_LoadGeometry (const char * filename, int binary):

DLL_HEADER Ng_STL_Geometry * Ng_STL_LoadGeometry (const char * filename, int binary)
     {
          readedges.SetSize(0);
     }

I fixed the problem modifying the function Ng_STL_NewGeometry in nglib.cpp to clean the edges array, and everything went fine.

DLL_HEADER Ng_STL_Geometry * Ng_STL_NewGeometry ()
     {
         readedges.SetSize(0); // <-- Add this line
         return (Ng_STL_Geometry*)(void*)new STLGeometry;
     }

If you don't want to modify nglib, I guess you can create the geometry with Ng_STL_LoadGeometry instead of Ng_STL_NewGeometry, passing an empty (but well-formed) STL file.

I'm using netgen 4.9.13, but I can see the problem in the current revision 434 of nglib.cpp.