STEP file Import errors in Netgen

2013-05-13
2013-05-27
  • Pradeep Ramesh
    Pradeep Ramesh
    2013-05-13

Hi All,

I am working a project related my thesis with NETGEN.

1. The CAD geometry is created in Solidworks and Its basically a 3D wing model.
    2, Exported the step file (AP214)
    3. After loading the "STEP" file  in Netgen i had a quick overview of the model.
    4. The imported geometry is totally different as compared to the original file in Solidworks.

I m not sure is it a problem of "Solidworks export" or the "Netgen Import"? Did any of you had similar problems? Please do let me know your views on this.

Thank you very much,

Cheers,
    Pradeep

• Chumbawumba
    Chumbawumba
    2013-05-13

Hello Pradeep

I use STEP meshing all the time so it does work, within limits.

What do you mean by "totally different"?

You have to have a single part. It can't be an assembly or disconnected solid regions or free wires or non-manifold geometry. Try downloading some step files from 3dcontentcentral to make sure Netgen is working OK. Only really simple ones, like a washer or a nail.

What happens when you try to mesh it?

• Pradeep Ramesh
    Pradeep Ramesh
    2013-05-13

Hi Chumbawumba,

Thank you very much for your reply.

It did worked for me with a basic wing model. I created a new model with different leading edge shape and tried to mesh the new geometry in NETGEN. The geometry looks different as compared to original CAD geometry.

Please find the Image for reference:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11383802/NETGEN%20error.jpg

Pradeep

• Chumbawumba
    Chumbawumba
    2013-05-14

Just a guess but maybe increase the fineness of the rendering in Netgen. I forget what the option is called, but the one for changing the number of triangles the surface is broken into when it's displayed. Usually you would increase that if a curved edge appears faceted.

This setting is also used by the mesher so if that's the problem then it should cause the mesher to work too.

What happens when you try to mesh? Do you still get that same wrong edge shape?