help! command not found error

Help
Nate
2004-11-12
2012-10-06
  • Nate
    Nate
    2004-11-12

i have installed ndiswrapper 0.11 onto Fedora Core 3 (kernel 2.6.9-1.667). i try to run the "ndiswrapper -i <inf file path>" command, but i get "bash: ndiswrapper: command not found" or something like that. i read another post (https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=2550570) relating to this topic, but it didn't help. i'm not sure what im doing wrong. im really new to linux and everything, so please help me out. thanks a lot.

• xNaN0x
      xNaN0x
      2004-11-12

is the command in /sbin?

if not, is the module running? to check this type "lsmod".

if it is, make sure you are executing the command with root privelages.

if the module is not running type "modprobe ndiswrapper", and then check to see if the command works.

• xNaN0x
      xNaN0x
      2004-11-12

sorry about this, but I didn't mean to say that if the module is loaded that the command would be in /sbin. It is more of an attempt to clarify what is going on in your system.

• Nate
      Nate
      2004-11-14

there is a 'loadndisdriver' command in the /sbin directory. when I type 'lsmod' or 'modprobe ndiswrapper' it returns the same error (bash: lsmod: command not found or bash: modprobe: command not found). i am using root privileges. thanks for your help.

• xNaN0x
      xNaN0x
      2004-11-16

I would start by trying to fix the fact that you don't have "modprobe", you could try "insmod" as replacement for "modprobe".

are you sure you are root when you execute the command(s)?

I personally had run into issues when trying to execute commands through sudo, in suse, and so i had to su to do the commands that I wanted.

• Nate
      Nate
      2004-11-17

ok, im probably doing something wrong here, but here's what i typed
      [...(user)]su
      Password:
      [...root] insmod ndiswrapper
      bash: insmod: command not found
      [...root] modprobe ndiswrapper
      bash: modprobe: command not found

thats not exactly what was there, but close enough. do you have any more suggestions? thanks a lot for your help so far!

• xNaN0x
      xNaN0x
      2004-11-17

i'm sorry but i am at a loss here.

check to see if you have a file called /etc/modprobe.conf, and if so do a "locate modprobe".

if all this fails start searching for post on the web for this problem.

• Nate
      Nate
      2004-11-18

it comes up with some different directories when i run 'locate', but dosen't have any errors. after i ran this command, i typed 'modprobe' again, but it still had a command not found error. thanks again for your help.

• xNaN0x
      xNaN0x
      2004-11-18

o.k. so you are saying that the command was found by locate? this shouldn't really produce any errors since it is only supposed to find files with the name modprobe in it.

so now here is what you should try next. run the locate modprobe again take note of the directory it is located in. then type the whole path to the modprobe command including the modprobe.
      Example: /usr/sbin/modprobe

if that works, good, then I would have to say that the modprobe directory is not in your path.

• bjr54
        bjr54
        2004-11-20

I had the same error as mstruth. For some reason, the /sbin directory is not in the root user's path.

I tried modifing /root/.bash_profile but that didn't have any effect on the path (I even rebooted to make sure that the profile would reload). Was I supposed to have done something with the 'source' command? Is there another file I need to modify?

• xNaN0x
      xNaN0x
      2004-11-23

to my knowledge you shouldn't have to do anything else. you could also look at the the /etc/profiles.

In your case, concerning source, it wouldn't make a difference since you logged out and then back in.

• oFeK
      oFeK
      2005-01-22

im only a linux noob i am in the same point with the same fc3 and with the same kernel trying to get my wlan adapter to work anyways i think u should do the next thing to make modprobe to work like i did:
      cp /sbin/modprobe /bin/modprobe
      thats it
      or u can use mv if u wanna delete it from the other place im not sure if this is good i just know it works tell me if something is wrong with what i did...