Ndiswrapper installation

Help
2007-03-13
2012-10-06
  • munguanaweza
    munguanaweza
    2007-03-13

Hi,
    I am writing to get some help with a problem that I am having installing my wireless card, a D-Link DWL-G650. I had installed the card for the first time a couple of months ago on my Suse Linux 10.1 system, and it worked fine once it was installed. Lately I had to reinstall the operating system. I tried to reinstall ndiswrapper and the driver as I did using the exact same procedures as when I originally installed the pcmcia wireless card. I originally used ndiswrapper 1.34, this time I installed the current 1.38. I was on a business trip at the time and downloaded a driver for my card from D-Link's website, driver version 2.54. When I tried to install the driver I received the following message in terminal:

ndiswrapper -i /home/lxmark/Desktop/Drivers/net5211.inf
    installing net5211 ...
    forcing parameter MapRegisters from 256 to 64
    linux-s3pr:/home/lxmark/downloadedfiles/ndiswrapper-1.38/ndiswrapper-1.38 #

The wireless card doesn't work after the driver is installed, and if I try to reboot the computer the card will stall the OS boot until I remove the card from the pcmcia slot, then the computer will boot up.

At first I installed what I thought was a correct driver, but the readout came back "invalid driver." So I removed the wrong driver with "ndiswrapper -r neta3ab" and installed the correct driver net5211. That was when I first received the readout above.

I thought at first that there was a problem with the driver(version 2.54), since I was using a downloaded driver from D-Links' website. I waited till I came home from a trip and after removing the downloaded driver with "ndiswrapper -r net5211" or "ndiswrapper -e net5211" the driver from my cd (version 2.43)had the same problem and the same readout when I installed it. I uninstalled that version of ndiswrapper and the device driver and went back to the original ndiswrapper version that I used, 1.34 and reinstalled it and the device driver (CD). I had the same readout. I uninstalled ndiswrapper and driver, then went to each folder where I stored ndiswrapper and tried "make clean" and then tried to "make install" version 1.38 and reinstall the driver from my cd. I still get the same readout and have the same problem as I have posted above.

I have double checked the prerequisites are installed:

Search for ndis. Make sure that the packages ndiswrapper and ndiswrapper-kmp-<something> are not installed. If they are, uninstall them.
    Search for wireless. Make sure that the package wireless-tools is installed.
    Search for kernel-source. Make sure that the package kernel-source is installed.
    Search for gcc. Make sure that gcc is installed.
    Search for make. Make sure that make and automake are installed.
    Search for glibc. Make sure that glibc and glibc-devel are installed.

These are all (un)installed as per the directions. I have only used linux for about 5 months now and am at a loss as to what is causing the problem. I would appreciate help that you can give to resolve this.

Thanks

• Try 1.40. Make sure CONFIG_4KSTACKS is disabled in kernel.