NX protection

ChrisPy
2005-05-10
2012-10-06
  • ChrisPy
    ChrisPy
    2005-05-10

I'm trying to get the wireless working on my laptop an Asus A4K, it has an internal sis162u wifi card.
    No native linux drivers, so I'm trying ndiswrapper. The machine has an AMD64 processor and I'm using Mandriva Special Edition 2005, which has a very recent kernel, not sure the exact version.
    Unfortunatley I'm getting the following...
    "kernel tried to execute NX-protected page - exploit attempt?" in the sys log.

Rather like...
    http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2005-03/msg06918.php

Is ndiswrapper trying to load the ndis driver into a page marked as data by the NX flag - is this a bug?
    I haven't tried the workaround from mandrakesoft yet, but I'd rather not have that as the only solution in the long term - after all the NX flag is a good thing.
    Also is the Sis162u likely to work under ndiswrapper or am I wasting my time?

• ChrisPy
      ChrisPy
      2005-05-11

Tried booting with noexec=off and things progressed further - but still didn't work entirely. As I changed nothing else I can be fairly sure that the version of ndiswrapper that comes with the latest mandriva needs noexec=off, which is not good. I will try a newer (latest ?) ndiswrapper to see if it fixed my other problems and will see if it still needs noexec=off also.

• ChrisPy
      ChrisPy
      2005-05-11

OK downloaded latest and reviewed change log...

Version 1.2 2005-XX-XX

• Support for systems with NX (no-execute) bit
      • Many bug fixes

Thanks guys, I'll crawl back under my rock now.
      (although I still want to get my sis162u running!)