FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper

pulco_ant
2005-06-06
2012-10-06
  • pulco_ant
    pulco_ant
    2005-06-06

Hello. I am trying to install ndiswrapper on YOPER linux (based on Red Hat, I believe) kernel-2.6.8.1-3 to utilize a Motorola WN825Gv2 wlan card, to no avail.
    When I lspci, I get Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g wireless LAN controller (rev03), indicating I should use bcmwl5.inf. The compatibility list indicates that I should use ndiswrapper 0.12. As root, I have setup a symbolic link to my kernel source with ln -s, then unpack the ndiswrapper source to a folder in /root/home/download. Then make, make install, ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf (located in the same folder), then ndiswrapper -m.
    So far, so good.
    Now, modprobe ndiswrapper. FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid module source.
    Dmesg returns: ndiswrapper: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module.
    Help!
    I had previously installed ndiswrapper 1.1 (current release) on the same machine/OS with no problem. So, I have also run thru the same sequence of commands installing ()in this order) ndiswrapper versions 1.1, 1.0, 1.2rc1, and finally 0.12, with virtually the same results. I have been very careful to uninstall the bcmwl5 and then make uninstall on every version before installing the next, except 0.12, 'cause the command isn't written into that version, I guess.
    Every install has given me a fatal error when I modprobe. Not thinking I would need help I did not record every failed modprobe response.
    Please tell me what you need to investigate further.
    Thanks,
    Dan

• Happy Bunny
      Happy Bunny
      2005-06-29

Well, I have the same error when I was intalling my smc 2802w wireless card and the problem is: when you give the controllers to the ndiswrapper you have to create a directory with the file.inf and "file.sys".
      Then the ndiswrapper to create the driver, chech with the -l option, the result should be :
      installed ndis drivers:
      2802w driver present, hardware present

In my case is "2802w", in your case the name of your driver.
      QUESTION:
      Somebody know where could I find information about the how function the ndiswrappper? Some program manual...
      Thanks