Bug with compression

Developers
Ben
2013-12-03
2013-12-05
  • Ben
    Ben
    2013-12-03

I was using ncks and noticed this odd behaivor. It occurs with both nco 4.3.4 and nco 4.2.5 which are the two versions we have installed. When I operate on a compressed file and try to create an uncompressed file it is not working.
    Suppose I try something really simple and take a compressed file that is at level 1 and try to change to to something else.
    ncks -L 2 inputfile outputfile
    produces a file compressed at level 2 when the original file was compressed at level 1.
    however
    ncks -L 0 inputfile outputfile
    produces an output file that is still compressed at level 1! It seems to ignore the -L arguement if it is 0. In fact I have not found a way to operate on a compressed file and produce a non-compressed file.

• Charlie Zender
    Charlie Zender
    2013-12-03

Yep, you found a bug. NCO -L lvl switch correctly alters compression to indicated non-zero levels yet does not turn-off compression when lvl=0. Thanks for reporting this! Will post again when patch is committed.
    cz

• Charlie Zender
    Charlie Zender
    2013-12-05

The patch has been committed. Please install latest snapshot and test if possible. Otherwise wait for NCO 4.4.0 in ~1 month, maybe.
    cz