Help
francesc
2012-12-11
2013-10-17
  • francesc
    francesc
    2012-12-11

Hello all,

I am just getting familiar with netcdf files.
    I need to edit large netcdf files and I am going to use the netCDF operator NCO.
    I still have to install NCO in a Windows7 computer. It seems that there are 2 different Windows versions to download in the web, although the one compiled by Visual Studio 2010 seems to be the recommended one if I am unsure, right? Are there any installation instructions available?

Because I have no previous experience with NCO, I was interested in the NCO cookbook that is mentioned in the NCO website.
    The NCO cookbook is suposed to be in the link:

http://nco.wiki.sf.net/Cookbook

But when I click on this link, it does not correspond with the cookbook.
    Does any of you know if the NCO cookbook is still available online? And if so, where can I find it?

I need to do the following transformations in the original netCDf files:

- Change the units of some of the variables in the netcdf file (multiplying or dividing by a constant number some particular variables).

- Join two variables from two netcdf files in the same netcdf file and re-name these variables.

- Interpolate climate forcing data from 6-hourly to 3-hourly resolution. It is necessary to perform linear interpolation for some variables and also scaling using the cosine of the zenith angle.

I guess I can do all these transformations to the original netCDF files using the netCDF operator NCO, right?

Any additional resources recomended for new NCO users?

Many thanks in advance!

• Charlie Zender
    Charlie Zender
    2012-12-11

Download the PDF manual and read the relevant sections, which are hyperlinked to the appropriate keywords in the index,
    e.g., rename, interpolate, concatenate.

Yes, use the Visual Studio Windows version of NCO

The cookbook/wiki was a user-initiated project that seems to have disappeared or been unlinked during a sourceforge migration-to-new-system sometime durin the past few years. The manual is the authoritative source for examples.

good luck,
    cz

• Pedro Vicente
    Pedro Vicente
    2012-12-11

>Are there any installation instructions available?

This is a typical Windows GUI install

1) download nco-4.2.3.windows.mvs.exe from the NCO web site
    2) start the GUI executable and follow the prompts; the default installation location is C:\nco
    3) go to C:\nco in Windows Explorer; it contains all the NCO executable files, some sample files, and a link that opens a command prompt: open NCO.lnk
    4) at the command prompt do for example

C:\nco> ncks in_grp.nc

• francesc
    francesc
    2012-12-11

Thanks to both for your quick reply!

Installation completed, and after doing "ncks in_grp.nc" at the command prompt it displays some information (no error messages), so I guess NCO is working properly.

I will need to check the PDF manual and if after that I need more help I will post again here.

I also would recommend that if the cookbook is not available anymore you could probably update (delete) this part of text in the NCO website or maybe replace it with a link to the PDF manual.

Thanks again!

• Charlie Zender
    Charlie Zender
    2012-12-11

yes, mentions of the wiki have been deleted from the homepage. thx,
    cz

• I would find a cookbook very valuable, even though the manual does contain a wealth of examples.  And I am willing to contribute some recipes, both simple and occasionally involved.  What about a Cookbook or Recipes forum on SourceForge? Is that difficult to set up and/or maintain?

• Charlie Zender
    Charlie Zender
    2012-12-12

We would welcome resurrection of a Wiki where users could post examples. AFAICT the old NCO wiki was removed by SF and SF now only supports wikis on projects managed with "allura" rather than by the classic SF software. A move to Allura entails changing all the SF paths and build/distribution procedures. We can try that after the next big code commit. Collect your examples and stay tuned!