Bin grid to coarser resolution

Mark Payne
  • Mark Payne
    Mark Payne

Could anyone please point me in the right direction for the following problem please? I have bathymetry data on a 1 minute grid, and would like to "downscale" this to a one degree grid (!!). However, in doing so, I would like to calculate some statistics within each of the 1 degree pixels e.g. max depth, min depth, mean depth, depth sd etc etc. This is a  for loop in e.g. MATLAB, R etc. How would you approach it with NCO though? ncap2 is one approach, but setting up the output file (ie one the 1 degree grid) could be a bit tedious. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• henry Butowsky
    henry Butowsky

HI mark,
    There is a bilinear interpolation function in ncap2 which you could use to "downsize" to a 1 deg grid. 
    The z for each spot on the 1 deg grid will be based on the 4 nearest 1 min points.
    ( I have recently add code to the function so it handles missing values)
      There are two functions:
      bilinear_interp_wrap() - ( can hadle wrapped co-ordinates)
      See the documentation:

To calculate your grid stats you'll have to set up  some loops  and call the avg/min/max functions on hyperslabs from your original 1 min grid

• Charlie Zender
    Charlie Zender

The best NCO approach is ncap2. I would avoid bilinear interpolation for this problem.
    Define your grid manually and then loop through lat and lon on the coarser grid and use the where() function to compute the average, min, max, etc. statistics for all the input point contained in that rectangle. Use RAM variables inside the loops (See manual).
    Good luck,

• Mark Payne
    Mark Payne

Thanks for the replies both of you. I'll look into it and see how I get on…