How to specify a negative value without NCO thinking that it's a command line option?

Help
2013-10-21
2013-10-21
  • James Adams
    James Adams
    2013-10-21

I'm trying to use ncrename to reset the _FillValue of a variable to a negative value, but the negative sign on the value I use at the command line is confusing to ncrename, it always sees it as the start of a new option argument, so I probably need to do something to escape the negative sign so it is not misrecognized as the start of a new command line option. For example I'm trying the below:

ncrename -a _FillValue, precip, o, f, -9999.9 in.nc out.nc

The above command results in this error message: "ncrename: invalid option -- '9'". I get this error message when escaping the -9999.9 with a backslash, single quotes, and double quotes. Can someone clue me in on what I need to do to use a negative value on the command line for NCO commands?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Charlie Zender
    Charlie Zender
    2013-10-21

james,
    the options are fine but the operator for this is ncatted not ncrename.
    is your coffee undercaffeinated?
    c

• James Adams
    James Adams
    2013-10-21

I get the same result when I use the correct NCO operator for this task:

$ ncatted -a _FillValue, precip, o, f, -9999.9 in.nc out.nc
    ncatted: invalid option -- '9'

So back to the original question -- how does one escape a negative value so it doesn't confuse NCO into thinking that it's instead an invalid command line option?

• James Adams
    James Adams
    2013-10-21

It turns out that the error is having spaces in my -a clause, apparently whitespace is used to delimit options and arguments. Without the space separators the negative value passes through without an issue.