The NCID applet requires gnocl.
You can get the latest version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnocl/
A patch is provided for gnocl-0.9.92. A RPM spec file is also provided.
Install gnocl into /usr/bin/tcl8.5 or whatever version you are using.
Install the ncid-applet using applet-install.
Uninstall the ncid-applet by using applet-remove.
Start the NCID Applet normal way by using "Add to Panel". If you do
not see it as one of the applets you can install, you could log out
and then login again, but it is easier to open a terminal window and
run "ncid-applet" Terminate it with <ctrl><c>. This will make the applet
appear in ""Add to Panel" the next time you open it.
Starting the ncid-applet in the terminal window and then adding it to the
panel while it is running is how to debug it. Error messages will appear
and "puts" statements can be added where needed to determine a problem.
Note: when you start ncid-applet from a terminal window, this does not have
to be the one you installed. However, if ncid-applet is started from the
panel, it is always the version installed.
The gnocl libraries have some problems that cause the Bonobo-WARNING message
when you right click on the running applet and the segmentation fault when
you use "Remove from Panel"
Also included is "testclient" and "testclient.data". start the server,
./testclient, and then configure ncid-applet for port 3000. Press connect
and it should attach to the test server. Every key press will send lines
to the applet. It waits for a key press on every blank line. If you want
to play with the code, testclient is better than calling yourself all the
time. The lines of data are the same format as cidcall.log.
Here is an overview of the display and menu items:
- A server message is displayed in blue on startup
- A active call is displayed in blue and red on a yellow background
- The background is changed to white when a call terminates
This should be the panel color, but I do not know what it is.
- A pop up window is displayed for 5 seconds when a call is received.
- The history is obtained from the server at startup and retained.
- If no telephone line labels are configured, it displays <main>
- did not test if window is wide enough to display maximum name size
- A new call is added to the history file.
- If the call history window is cleared, only new calls will be displayed.
- When a preference is changed it takes effect immediately, but changes
are not remembered when the applet is restarted.
- When Save is pressed, all preferences are saved in the Gnome database
and will be remembered when the applet is restarted.
- General Tab:
* The Reconnect Delay can change from 0 to 120 seconds. The
process will keep trying to make a connection every $Delay
seconds, If Delay is set to 0, there is no retry.
* The pop up image display time is set at 5 seconds. It can
range from 1 second to 10 seconds.
The pop up is provided to get the users attention in case the
change in colors does not.
- If the IP Address or Port is changed press connect for it to take effect.
Sometimes the server dies if changed too often.
- Layout needs improvement.
- URI button will bring up firefox and go to the NCID home page
The button outline is a gnocl problem.