Using GPSD from WiFi

• Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to get navit to work over TCP/IP to no avail. What I have is a raspberrypi with a USB GPS in my car running as a "server" using sudo gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0 -G -n which works well over wifi to my laptop running foxtrotgps with the host as for example.

If I edit the navit.xml to change the source from gspd://localhost to this: <vehicle name="car" profilename="car" enabled="yes" active="1" source="gpsd://" gpsd_query="w+xj"> on either Android or my laptop version of navit is doesn't work. Navit starts but cannot see the GPS… I know it's not a lot to go on, but any ideas? On my PC it crashes saying 

This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
    For bug reporting instructions, please see:
    Reading symbols from /usr/bin/navit...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
    Attaching to program: /usr/bin/navit, process 3065
    Could not attach to process.  If your uid matches the uid of the target
    process, check the setting of /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope, or try
    again as the root user.  For more details, see /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
    ptrace: Operation not permitted.
    /home/bj/3065: No such file or directory.
    No stack.

and on my tablet it just starts and doesn't load the map or show the live position.

I don't know if it's a bug or if I need to configure something else - I thought I'd read all the wiki I could find on it though…

Thanks for any help

• Anonymous

Mental note to self, after pulling hair out for weeks trying everything, I finally got it to work after posting this - You can't use an IP address it must be a host name. I then used dnsmasq to give a hostname on the network of "cargo" and it works fine… unbeliveable that it was that simple!