Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Info about NagiosGraph architecture

emilio65
2012-02-09
2013-05-20
  • emilio65
    emilio65
    2012-02-09

Hi expert
    I need to know if is it possible to install nagiosgraph and nagios on two different server .
    I like to have nagios on server1 and nagiosgraph on server2 in order to separate the work of the server.
    If the ansewer is YES , where can I find the install and config information ?
    Many thank for the help
    Emilio

• Matthew Wall
    Matthew Wall
    2012-02-09

hi emilio,

first of all, there is not a guide for this right now - the README and INSTALL documents assume that nagiosgraph and nagios will be on the same server.

it is possible to split nagios and nagiosgraph to different servers, but you need to decide what to split.

how do you want to split up the work?

these are the parts to consider:
    1) data collection
    2) data storage
    3) data display

for example, you could have nagios running on server A, nagios puts performance data into a database on server B, nagiosgraph runs on server C to collect data from the database, and nagiosgraph cgi run on server D to display the graphs.

or you could have nagios on server A with nagiosgraph on server A saving to rrd files on a network disk, and nagiosgraph running on server B to display the graphs.

please describe in more detail what you want to do and what are your constraints.

• emilio65
    emilio65
    2012-02-10

Hi

My idea is to separate the nagios installation from nagiosgraph.
    So I wish to get nagios (Nagios DB + Nagios Web interface) on server1, and nagios graph (webinterface + db + rrd files ) on server2.

I don't know the nagios graph architecture .
    I read and understand how configure nagios to create perfdata and send perfdata in a file.
    But the question are:
    Nagiosgraph has a dedicated Mysql DB ?
    How can I move/insert the perfdata from nagios server to nagiosgraph server ?

Many thanks for your help
    Many thanks for you help

• Matthew Wall
    Matthew Wall
    2012-02-10

nagios puts perfdata into a file then calls the insert.pl script from nagiosgraph.  insert.pl parses the perfdata and puts the data directly into rrd files.  the nagiosgraph cgi scripts display graphs and web pages using data from the rrd files.  the diagram on the nagiosgraph FAQ page illustrates this architecture.

nagiosgraph does not use a database.

perhaps the easiest way to split this onto two servers is to put the rrd files on a filesystem that is visible to both servers.  nagios on server1 would write to the rrd files, and the nagiosgraph cgi on server2 would only read from the rrd files.

another way is to make nagios on server1 write the perfdata to a database.  then on server2 read the perfdata from the database and feed it to insert.pl which writes to rrd files.  then on server2 run apache and the nagiosgraph cgi that display the data.  the database could live on server1 or on server2.

• emilio65
    emilio65
    2012-02-13

My idea is to put on the server 2 to have a mounted FS shared from Nagios System1 and Nagiograph System2
    On this shared FS I put the perfdata file.

The RRD files ,  and insert.pl program runs on the Nagiograph System2 .

I would like to display graph on the web server on System2
    In nagios I can create a URL) in order to link the graph page from Action_URL in the service or host configuration

Do you think that possible ?
    Many Thanks
    Emilio

• emilio65
    emilio65
    2012-02-13

…. rewrite my previous message because I lost some parts

My idea is to have a mounted FS shared from Nagios System1 and Nagiograph System2
    On this shared FS I put the perfdata file.
    The RRD files , and insert.pl program runs on the Nagiograph System2 .
    I would like to display graph on the web server on System2 .
    In nagios I can create a URL (Action_URL) in order to link the nagiosgraph page from Action_URL
    I can use the Action_URL present in the service  or host configuration

Do you think that possible ?
    Many Thanks
    Emilio