Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Zimbra 8 and Mxhero local mail relay problem

2013-02-08
2013-06-12
  • John Sundarraj
    John Sundarraj
    2013-02-08

Guys, I have been trying to route all of my Zimbra 8 local mails to seperate Mxhero installation on another server. I configured Zimbra 8, based on the article at http://wiki.mxhero.com:8080/display/docs/mxHero+and+Zimbra .  But Zimbra's internal Postfix still, not relaying the local mails to external MxHero server. All non local mails were relayed to MxHero server and  works perfect as expected.

Tested cases:

1. I fixed this problem by setting smtpd_proxy_filter param in Zimbra 8 Postfix master.cf file,  and routed all local mails to MxHero server successfully, but mail looped between MxHero and Zimbra 8 postfix.

2. I tried the same with Multi server installation with two Zimbra MTA's to skip the mail loop problem and successfully transferred all local mails to MxHero.  Similarly mails sent from MxHero server were received  by Zimbra secondary MTA, not the first MTA, this is how i overcome the mail loop.

On the above two test cases, i forced Zimbra 8 Postfix proxy to Mxhero server, but i want to fix this issue without modifying Zimbra 8 postfix master.cf file.

Anyway, i also want to know why configuration based on this article http://wiki.mxhero.com:8080/display/docs/mxHero+and+Zimbra failed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Bruno Santos
    Bruno Santos
    2013-02-13

Hi John,

Thanks for your message. Definitely it will help other people in the same situation.

The fact is that in a standard Zimbra deployment, Zimbra's Postfix will always try to deliver local mail directly due to it's transport_maps table. At the same time this is something you can't change because you'd loose normal mail delivery without that.

We have two solutions:

1. You did, changing ZCS master.cf to use mxHero proxy exactly like mxHero do by itself on a standalone installation.
    2. Use the solution described in yellow at: http://wiki.mxhero.com:8080/display/docs/mxHero+and+Zimbra
    Important in this second solution is that you have to force at Zimbra webmail and SMTP to always use that MTA for outbound mail, else we'll ever stop on the local delivery problem.

Thanks.

• John Sundarraj
    John Sundarraj
    2013-02-14

Hi Bruno,
                    Thanks for your reply message.

For your info, i fixed this problem by setting up proxy mail from  Zimbra 8 postfix to Mxhero postfix. But the place where i did the proxy is more notable.

In Zimbra 8 master.cf, Postfix listens on 10025, which collects and givess the mail  to local smtpd, this is the place i told postfix to proxy to another Mxhero postfix.

Hope this too helps.

• Bruno Santos
    Bruno Santos
    2013-02-14

John,

Great, thank you for the contribution.

On port 10025 you're getting the email after it's being processed by Amavis on Zimbra. We usually recommend to disable Zimbra AS/AV when using mxHero so you can proxy the default port once Amavis is not being used anymore.

But in anyway this is another possible configuration in the given scenario!

Thanks.

• John Sundarraj
    John Sundarraj
    2013-02-15

Bruno,
                 Thanks for your reply message.  I'll let you know if anything new, from my side.

Thanks.