Help
AB
2014-02-17
2015-03-03
  • AB
    AB
    2014-02-17

Dear MXFlib Community
    I'm looking for an API enhancement using the mxflib on Linux that allows the Partial Restore of MXF Op1a files using non-seekable(sequential) input and output streams (video are not in a file on storage).
    I need to handle MXF D10 I-frames, but also MXF XDCAM HD422 MPEG2 LongGOP (open and closed GOP).
    First of all I'd like to know if it's technically feasible and if could be implemented through the mxflib.

Thanks,
    AB

• Matt Beard
    Matt Beard
    2014-02-17

Hi, it would be possible to do what you are suggesting, but it is not trivial. It would help if you can contact me with more details.

• AB
    AB
    2014-02-20

Thanks a lot, I've sent to you a PM.

• Bilal Al-Ghazi
    Bilal Al-Ghazi
    2015-03-02

Hi AB,

I would like to know if you managed to achieve what you are looking for? I am trying to achieve something similar, I need to do partial restore from sequential storage.

Thank you in advance

• Hi Bilal,

did you checked out the ebu-bmx tools on github.com? and have a look at the Limecraft versions ebu-bmx and mxflib.
      There is a mxfsplit tool in the tools directory. I don´t know if it works with long-GOP codecs. If you wants to cut long-GOP codec than have to consider the GOP (XDCAM-HD 12Frames) structure to create a proper file
      In the passed there was a Quantum LTO Tape drive wit MXF support, but this LTO drive had no success in the broadcast market.
      What type of storage do you want to use?

Best regards,
      Didi

Am 02.03.2015 um 09:40 schrieb Bilal Al-Ghazi alghazi@users.sf.net:

Hi AB,

I would like to know if you managed to achieve what you are looking for? I am trying to achieve something similar, I need to do partial restore from sequential storage.

Thank you in advance

Partial Restore implementation and technical feasibility

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/mxflib/discussion/220044/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Bilal Al-Ghazi
        Bilal Al-Ghazi
        2015-03-03

Thank you Dietmar,

I will check the tools you mentioned. I am storing the MXF files on LTO5 tapes, and the way I have in mind it to save a copy of the MXF header on disk storage, and write the full MXF file to the LTO media, and to perform partial restore, I read the header from the disk storage and determine what to restore from the LTO tape.

Not sure if this is doable, I am still researching

Thanks,
        Bilal

• Hi Bilal,

your idea sounds good, I would use LTFS LTO 5/6 (IBM open source) with a local cache for thumbnails and metadata on the hard disk of the server.
          There are several commercial approaches to dedicate similar questions, like IBM with LTFS an the StorageManager (Arema) , StorageDNA Product ?, Cache-A, XEN-DATA with CatDV…Please take a look.
          If you are sticking to the idea, please keep me informed, thanks.

DIDI

Am 03.03.2015 um 07:49 schrieb Bilal Al-Ghazi alghazi@users.sf.net:

Thank you Dietmar,

I will check the tools you mentioned. I am storing the MXF files on LTO5 tapes, and the way I have in mind it to save a copy of the MXF header on disk storage, and write the full MXF file to the LTO media, and to perform partial restore, I read the header from the disk storage and determine what to restore from the LTO tape.

Not sure if this is doable, I am still researching

Thanks,
          Bilal

Partial Restore implementation and technical feasibility

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/mxflib/discussion/220044/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/