Menu

MXF for non-programmers

2008-05-15
2013-04-25
  • Patricia Falcao

Patricia Falcao - 2008-05-15

Hi,
    my name is Patricia Falcao and I am a student of conservation specializing in new media/video conservation at the Bern University of the Arts.
    There is a big buzz in the archival community about MXF+JPEG2000 and I am working in a semester project aiming at testing this combination. I am looking for an idiot-proof software that allows me to produce and experiment with the MXF files. I know very, very, really very little about programing so what I found here on the site was way over my head. Does anyone have a suggestion of a software I might look into? I have had a look at opencube's and MOG solutions software, but did not get very far there. Oh, and I am using the BUA's computer, a Mac Power PC G5 running Mac OS 10.3.9.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

All the best
    Patricia

• Matt Beard

Matt Beard - 2008-05-15

This is the discussion forum for MXFLib so it would be worth considering MXFLib!

MXFLib has some simple command-line utilities and does run on PowerPC Macs. However, this is really a tool for programmers or at least those happy to compile the application themselves and run it from the command-line. The library does not include any GUIs or a method of viewing the finished file - this is a tool to be used by people writing such applications.

• Patricia Falcao

Patricia Falcao - 2008-05-16

Hi Matt

thanks for your quick reply. I do understand I am somewhat off-topic, but I am really not so happy with the information I could get online up to now so I thought about giving this forum a try, as you guys obviously know what you are talking about.
      I will ask a friend to give me a help and see if I can learn how to use your library. It would be good to learn a bit more of programing anyway.

I just came across another posting about JPEG2000 support. Given that I would like to use this kind of compression I was wondering if MXFLib also supports this, and whether I can easily insert metadata on the files I create.

Thanks again!

Patricia

• Neil Dunstan

Neil Dunstan - 2008-05-16

Hi Patricia,
      If you needs to open, check and build MXF files are straight forward, I may be able to help with a trial copy of one of our products.
      Can you pse send me an e-mail address and I'll send you the link to download.
      Regards,
      Neil
      Metaglue