Unable to mount shares

Windows
Pexcer
2006-12-02
2013-06-03
  • Pexcer
    Pexcer
    2006-12-02

I have windows xp home.  My mvp unit is an H2. In xp I made "my_videos" a shared folder and under control panel/user accounts I activated the guest account.  I created a folder "videos" on the MVP. I am getting the dongle file booted and its loading the config but no files are getting shared, the dir is created on the mvp.

Now I'm trying to mount the share with puttytel. 

In puttytel I enter:

mount.cifs //192.168.15.2/my_videos /videos/ -o password=guest
    I get the error message:
    mount error 22 = invalid argument
    refer to the mount.cifs (8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I've tried entering only:  mount.cifs //192.168.15.2/my_videos /videos/
    then it prompts for the password and I enter guest, also I've tried entering my admin username and password and get the same error message.

Any ideas?

• MVallevand
      MVallevand
      2006-12-02

You need -o username=guest,password=guest

Martin

• Pexcer
      Pexcer
      2006-12-02

I'd tried that also, same result.

• MVallevand
      MVallevand
      2006-12-02

Here are some suggestions since the problem is likely not with mvpmc

Check to see tcpip file sharing is enabled.  Netbios only won't work.

Run the following at the windows command prompt to help diagnose the problem

1. net share my_videos

2. from the path that give you run
         cacls path

3. find out more about the user account you are using
         net share username

Martin

• Pexcer
      Pexcer
      2006-12-03

This is odd.
      at the cmd prompt "net share" lists My Videos as one of the shared resources and shows its path
      "net share my_videos" says "this shared resource does not exist"
      "net share my videos" shows a bunch of syntax instructions

another one of my shared locations is "MVPMC"
      If I input net share mvpmc I get a successful message, if I enter net share for any of the folders that have single word names it works but I can't get the command to work with any of the two word names like "my videos" "my pictures" "my music" even though all of those are listed with two word names when I type "net share"

net share username doesn't do anything, of course entering my username.  It returns "this shared resource does not exist"

What do I do with the cacls?  I enter it with the path of the share and it gives alot of instructions but doesn't seem to show what the current settings are.

• MVallevand
        MVallevand
        2006-12-03

Here are some comments on your posts (I hate these sf.net forums!)

1. Using Windows command line tools you typically need to put double quotes around file/paths with embedded spaces so the command is

net share "My Videos"

Also, typically in Linux you use the back slash to mark a space, so if you want to connect to the "My Videos" share from mvpmc it would be

mount.cifs //192.168.15.2/My\ Videos -o username=guest,password=guest

2. By "net user username" I did mean for you to change username to the username you were trying to connect with from mvpmc ie.  net user guest 
        This is just confirmation that the account exists

3. cacls is a Microsoft command to control access control lists for shares, probably a confusing enough answer. Using it you can see who has access to the specified folder.  Look  for access to things like Guest, Everyone, BUILTIN\Users:

You definitely want to be avoid using it to modify your setting unless you read about it first.

4. To be able to use the new mvpmc option to auto connect to a share to get the dongle.config, using an older mvp (non H revision), you need had to use one of the newer Hauppauge dongles that saves the information about the preferred Hauppauge server into flash.

Martin

• Pexcer
      Pexcer
      2006-12-04

I see the problem with checking on the username account.  You did a typo: In your initial instructions above, "net share username"  then in your last post "net user username"  that works great, thanks :)

Using the quotes around my videos makes the net share "my videos" work so I can check that from the command line, now I just have to see if I can make it mount for MVP.

I have an H2 MVP, I'm using the dongle you recently posted that will load the config file through a file share from a folder MVPMC, and that part has been working great, thanks :)

• Pexcer
      Pexcer
      2006-12-04

Yay, it works!  Thanks a lot for the help.
      One more (maybe) thing.  Its mounting the directory now and I can see mpg files but can't see any of the avi files.

• Pexcer
        Pexcer
        2006-12-04

Ok duh, just had to enable VLC, thanks alot for the help very appreciated, from here out I think I just have tweaking!