Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

playback problems

Windows
2006-11-12
2013-06-03
  • Arne Schween
    Arne Schween
    2006-11-12

Hi,

I have successfully installed mvpmc 0.3.1, mounted a CIFS share and tried to playback some videos previuosly recorded with SageRecorder.

All of them were displayed sluggish as if there was not enough CPU power or network bandwidth available. So I executed the throughput test and got above 5MByte/s - good for the 100MBit/s ethernet the mvp and windows machine are connected with. I also set the recommended lanmanager registry entry.

After that I started the MediaMVP services on the windows machine, switched mvpmc to emulation mode and tried the same files again: same result.

Finally I stopped DHCP Turbo and TFTP Turbo services on the windows machine, rebooted the mvp with the hauppauge software and tried again: all videos were displayed fine.

The files in question are 720x576@25fp/s and about 5-9MBit/s. So what's the problem, why does the Hauppauge software display the videos properly and mvpmc does not? Any help is very much appreciated!

Arne

• MVallevand
      MVallevand
      2006-11-12

There are a lot of factors at play, some of which are based on the version of the MediaMVP you have and the version of the dongle you are trying.  I'd try both versions to see if there is a performance difference.

For emulation mode you should definitely try and run the alpha dongle on http://www.mvpmc.org/mvallevand which is based on the 2.4.31 kernel. I regularly run 8Mbit NTSC file in emulation without problem.  This version is more slightly more efficient with the media streams than mvpmc .31 but it still needs some optimization to get Hauppauge level performance. I can absolutely stream a CBR Live TV mpeg from GBPVR at 6750 Kbps, 720*480 (4/3) at 29.97 fps with no difficulty (< 30% CPU on the mvp).  I really haven't noticed a speed difference with old and new versions of the MediaMVP in emulation mode.

Regarding CIFS, I actually am not pleased with the Windows share performance on my XP machine in comparison with throughput from my 100Mbit NAS devices, and so there likely is some tweaking that I haven't bothered doing that you might need.  I can't get 8Mb from Windows but no problem from the NAS.

Finally if you are trying UPnP then 5Mb is the limit I've reached for consistent playback.

Martin

• Arne Schween
      Arne Schween
      2006-11-13

>For emulation mode you should definitely try and run the alpha dongle on http://www.mvpmc.org/mvallevand
      >which is based on the 2.4.31 kernel. I regularly run 8Mbit NTSC file in emulation without problem.

Hi,

thanks for the hint. In fact that version plays the videos here without frame drops. cifsd runs at 6%, two mvpmc at somewhat above 20% each at average.

That looks all very interesting. I also had a look at picture browsing. May be it's just an illusion but colors look different using mvpmc instead of the dongle.bin from hauppauge. The letter produces a slight yellowish display, mvpmc seams to be more neutral.

regards,

Arne