Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

MVPMC with Windows Home Server

Windows
Techie88
2007-06-30
2013-06-03
  • Techie88
    Techie88
    2007-06-30

I have had MVPMC working fine with Windows XP pro for a while, and wasnt expecting it to break when I upgraded to Windows Home Server.

Its not an issue with TFTP, as the MVP boots fine, loads MVPMC, mounts the CIFS shares. All good.

The problem is that none of the content plays; movies, mp3 and pictures all fail to load.

I can browse to the content folders, see the files, but the MVP simply fails to open the files.

The file permissions are fine on the shares, as I can see and hear all of the content on Mac OSX and Ubuntu.

I am at a bit of a loss to know why its not working, I am using the same 3.3 boot image and config file, so it must be something to do with the way WHS is serving out the shared data; but why are other linux based devices working fine?

Are there any different switches I could used with the mount.cifs command that might change things?

Oh, and reverting back to XP isnt an answer I want to hear ;)...

Thanks ....

• Tom Metro
      Tom Metro
      2007-06-30

> I can browse to the content folders, see the files, but the MVP simply fails
      > to open the files.

This may be a long shot, as your symptoms don't seem to match, but there have been reports of compatibility problems with the version of Samba in mvpmc. See this thread on the developer list:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.multimedia.mvpmc.devel/4686

The thread doesn't indicate when or if this has been committed to the source tree, but you might want to try one of the nightly builds.

> ...reverting back to XP isnt an answer I want to hear...

If the nightly doesn't help, try mounting the share on your Ubuntu box, and then exporting it from there - as either another CIFS share or using NFS. Or maybe installing an NFS server on WHS.

-Tom

• MVallevand
      MVallevand
      2007-06-30

I've been participating in the WHS beta program and it works fine for me.  I'm using the RC 5.2.3790 now.

Martin

• Techie88
      Techie88
      2007-06-30

Thanks for the quick responses.

It interested me that it is working for MVallevand; so I dug deeper, and have turned up something. But, I am not a great Linux expert, so I will throw this open for comment.

I created a new share outside of the WHS service; shared some content; mounted with MVPMC and everything worked perfect.

So I went back to the shares within the WHS service to see how they were different. This is what showed up:

The new (working) share on C:, created in the 'normal' Windows way:
      # ls -l
      -rwxrwSrwt    1 root     root       862807 Jan  1  2004 Test.JPG
      -rwxrwSrwt    1 root     root      5144576 Feb 27 13:42 Test.mp3
      -rwxrwSrwt    1 root     root     15125439 Jun 24 09:00 Test.mpg

Now the same files in a WHS share, created within WHS (using the logical file store that WHS uses):
      # ls -l
      lrwxrwSrwt    1 root     root       862807 Jan  1  2004 Test.JPGls: ./Test.JPG:
      No such file or directory

lrwxrwSrwt    1 root     root      5144576 Feb 27 13:42 Test.mp3ls: ./Test.mp3:

lrwxrwSrwt    1 root     root     15125439 Jun 24 09:00 Test.mpgls: ./Test.mpg:

As I said before I am not a linux expert, but isnt this telling me that these files are symbolic links, and as I am getting errors at this level, it would tie into why the files arent playing in MVPMC.

It would make some sense that these are symbolic links, as WHS is linking together different hard disks to produce a single volume (but NOT a normal RAID-1 stripped volume).

I can only conclude that MVallevand is using a single disk WHS server (mine is a 3 disk system), and the linking doesnt need to happen in the same way as it has to on mine.

So, as this works for Ubuntu and Mac OSX, I can only conclude that the linux in MVPMC isnt working correctly with the symbolic links being offered by WHS; then again, I might be dead wrong as I am outside of my field here....

Thanks .....

• MVallevand
        MVallevand
        2007-06-30

As far, as I can tell WHS is just using the normal WIndows junctions to mount multiple drives, links should be handled by the server. 

I can play mp3's from a share I set up manually, dropping them into the WHS created share called \Music and via UPnP using the built in Media Connect.

Martin