MythTV
Scott
2007-02-20
2013-06-03
  • Scott
    Scott
    2007-02-20

Hi,

I am just learning about the possibilities of using the MVP as a frontend for an existing Mythtv system in my house.  Does it seem likely that a version that works with a 0.20 revision backend will be available soon?  I don't want to jump out and purchase one until I know that it's going to work.

Thx!
    Scott

• Don
      Don
      2007-02-21

Scott

I am using MVPMC with .20 myth now and it works reasonably well. I would ask you what it is you want to do with the mvp though. I can watch recordings that are avaiable from the myth server and I can watch live TV from the myth server off any tuner in the myth server. I did have some initial problems with live tv causing the mvp to reboot, but that has become less of an issue and while it still happens, it doesn't happen very often.

Other functions of Myth are not available on the MVP as the MVP is not a full blown frontend in the sense of a myth frontend. I can listen to music from the myth backend and I can view images on the myth backend, just not with the same interface that we see on a myth frontend. The OSD for viewing upcoming shows and setting up recordings is different as well. But then I don't have the $$$$ investment in the mvp that I would have in a computer to handle a full blown frontend either. Nor do I have the time investment in setting up and configuring a mythfrontend os/app either, these folks have done all that for us :)

I would add that I am using a wired mvp going through a wireless adapter right now, but as soon as I pull cable, it will be wired to a switch.

As a definitive answer to your question, I don't know. I am not a developer. As a user who had a lot of the same questions you have now and got a cheap mvp earlier this month, I have fairly recently jumped in myself. Right now I am quite impressed with this combination and I have what I wanted on the remote tv. Live tv and recorded tv from the myth backend. I would recommend it to anyone looking for these capabilities.

Hope this helps
      Don

• Scott
      Scott
      2007-02-22

Great!

Right now I have an antique box that I am using for a frontend and a backend that is an AMD 550.  I rely a great deal on the onboard encoding and decoding on a PVR 350.  I changed to 0.20 to get MythArchive working so that I could burn my movies to DVD, but I've run into several snags and I'm not entirely convinced that the problem isn't machine resources to manage the file conversions necessary.  My wife has never been very impressed with a PC sitting in the living room.  When I stumbled across info on the MVP it seems like a great answer.  Like you I've just got the network wiring in place at the TV location(s).  Note the plural for future MVP's perhaps.  I've also since purchased a new dual core 64 bit box that I plan to have handle my backend work as I have two RG6 satellite feeds that are nearby that I can plumb in from the receivers in other parts of the house.  I will have to live with poorer quality without the Svideo connections, but I guess that’s minor.  I will likely run VMWare so that the box can run Myth and Winblows as two different virtual machines at the same time.  To date I haven’t used Myth for any live TV because I am on Satellite and I haven’t got to the IR Blaster step yet.  I actually do all my recordings manually because of this by setting the satellite receiver to the channel required and I type in the video filename etc.  If I can get the MVP to play video files stored on the backend, I’m happy. 

Can you point me in the right direction for a HowTo to get things working?

• Don
        Don
        2007-02-22

>>I will have to live with poorer quality without the Svideo connections, but I guess that’s minor. <<

Sounds like you are on your way to a nice setup. I am confused by the svideo statement. Do you mean on the MVP? If so, I can assure you there IS svideo on the MVP.

>>I will likely run VMWare so that the box can run Myth and Winblows as two different virtual machines at the same time.<<

If you are thinking of sharing hardware via vmware for multimedia that is going to be a problem. vmware does not support pci tv tuners and has not virtual hardware device for them. Their knowledge base implies that you MIGHT be able to get a USB tuner to work, but no gurantee. You could always resort to dual boot. Don't know what you want from windows but the 550 with a gig of ram would do most business/web/email functions nicly.

>>To date I haven’t used Myth for any live TV because I am on Satellite and I haven’t got to the IR Blaster step yet. <<

Do you mean you cant just plug the satellite feed into a digital tuner? Seems odd to me, but I don't have satallite and have no experience with one either.

>>Can you point me in the right direction for a HowTo to get things working? <<

Do you mean the MVP in a network environment with mvpmc? If so the wiki -  mvpmc.wikispaces.com - is the place to start. That site will help you with setting up tftp, dhcp etc and getting the dongle and config to the mvp. Then it is back to sites like this if you get stuck.

• Scott
      Scott
      2007-02-26

Hi Don,

I think I'm game...

I may still try to get another server running with my new box.  For VMWare, I think if I use the Linux host box directly for MythTV I should be able to run Windows on the virtual side.  I don't need the PVR card(s) available for Windows so it may work out.  Is it possible to make the MVP's work with multiple backends i.e. recordings on two different boxes?

Also, what build are you running that seems to work okay for 0.20?  I see that the latest build on the Website is mvpmc 0.3.3 dated 2007-01-23.  http://www.mvpmc.org/index.php?pg=downloads

Side conversation…

Satellite receivers add some complication to Mythtv in that the tuner card cannot change channels directly.  The satellite receiver decodes the signal and produces analog output via coax modulation on channel 3 or 4 or via SVideo and component video.  Obviously, the Svideo input provides better quality but requires that the backend reside near the satellite receiver box.  One must use a serial infrared blaster to tell the receiver what channel to change to.  This gets even messier when the PC and the receiver reside in different rooms.  Anyhow I’m rambling.  This doesn’t really apply to my MVP questions.

Scott

• Don
        Don
        2007-02-27

Sounds good Scott, I think you'll find the effort worth the reward.

I am looking forward to hearing how your venture into vmware goes. I believe that multiple backends are supported based on command line parameters you pass the program when it starts. But, I have no direct experience with this. See here http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/commandline

I dl'd the dongle for 20070204 and am using that. I was having quality problems but it turned out the problem was other than the version and are now fixed. See here for daily builds http://www.mvpmc.org/builds/

Thanks for the info. You might want to start a different thread for multiple backend support and you might also check the mailing lists as well as these forums.

Don

• SteveB05
      SteveB05
      2007-03-15

Sorry my response is a little out of the focus of the thread but I wanted to give Scott some comfort and direction on his back end. I'm currently running an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego core on Fedora Core 6 with MythTV .20 and VMWare Server on the host, then I'm running two Windows virtuals, a 2003 R2 Server running as a DC with Exchange 2003 and another 2003 R2 running ISA 2006 as a reverse proxy for web sites (owa, myth etc). Works very well that way. I have a pcHDTV-5500 and a PVR-500 MCE. The only thing I would make sure you do is buy enough RAM. I've got 2 GB and I should have put in more.

Newegg just delivered my MediaMVP yesterday. Now I'm looking around to see what I have ahead to get it talking to my back end. I have an X-Box with XBMC and that works great, but even on e-bay, they are more used that the MVP and I need a new front end for anoher room.

• Scott
        Scott
        2007-03-15

Thanks Steve.  I have just finished setting up my Mandriva install along with the XP_64 VM.  I will be proceeding with Myth now and two PVR-350's.  I would appreciate any direction on the MVP as I'll be picking up mine tomorrow.  From what I've read so far on the MVP's it appears that a DHCP server is required.  I use a DLink Router in my house for DHCP.  I'm assuming that it is fine to use it for the MVP.  My Myth box would be planned as a source for the MVP firmware.  Seem feasible?

Scott

• Don
        Don
        2007-03-15

thnx for the info steve. I had never thought about running vmware on top of the machine running myth only running myth inside a vm. Until Scott brought up the idea. When you get the mvp you might want to check the devel mailing list (not forum). there is a thread there by ahmed that identifies a myth 20 problem and what dongle to use to get around it (I think the dongle came from 01/07/07 IIRC). I am using this dongle and do have a few stability issues with live tv, but nothing that keeps me from using the mvp for live tv. recorded shows work well and are stable. Playing music files via the filesystem works well too. The developers have mentioned they are going to work on the myth side of mvpmc but are tied up right now with other stuff.

don

• Don
      Don
      2007-03-15

Sorry scott, didn't see your post before.

Check here http://mvpmc.wikispaces.com/bootsever. It depends on the version of the mvp you get (on the sticker on the bottom of the mvp). Mine was a D1 revision. I setup tftp and dhcp on my fedora box following the guides on the mvpmc wiki and turned off dhcp on my soho router and let the linux box handle dhcp for my subnet. Don't know about your router, but mine could not handle the tftp stuff necessary for the mvp to load the dongle. Then you download the dongle from the  mvpmc web site and create a config file. Both of these go in the tftp default folder (/tftpserver on my machine). All of this was covered (sometimes a little cyptically IMO) on the wiki.

if you get stuck, let me know.

don

• SteveB05
      SteveB05
      2007-03-16

Okay, well it took some time, but I got my MVP up and running yesterday. I'm going to rewrite the wiki 'cause it did me little to no good. I hope this saves someone a ton of googling and time. I'm running the daily compile from 3/15 and I watched the Suns / Mavs game without an issue (I live in Phoenix so...)

Here are the high level steps until I get time to submit a new wiki page...

WAP / ROUTER DHCP - You will need to turn these offr. You need some special options that these limited DHCP servers don't provide.

DHCP Server - I'm running FC 6 and used ISC DHCP. Below are the important items to have in addition to your regular scope items: (by the way, even though they say you can, I found I was not able to use any other names of the file, even setting all configs the same...it HAS to be dongle.bin)
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------
      group {
              filename "dongle.bin";
              next-server <your tfptboot server>;

host MediaMVP {
                      hardware ethernet <MVP MAC Address>;
                      fixed-address <IP for the MVP>;
              }
      }

TFPT Serveer - Here is where it gets screwy. There are acutally 3 ports the MVP contacts to get itself going. The first two are services by your TFTP server. I'm using xinetd and here is my tftp.conf file:
      service tftp
      {
              disable = no
              socket_type             = dgram
              protocol                = udp
              port                    = 16869
              wait                    = yes
              user                    = root
              server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
              server_args             = -s /tftpboot
              per_source              = 11
              cps                     = 100 2
              flags                   = IPv4
      }

service tftp2
      {
              disable = no
              socket_type             = dgram
              protocol                = udp
              port                    = 69
              wait                    = yes
              user                    = root
              server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
              server_args             = -s /tftpboot
              per_source              = 11
              cps                     = 100 2
              flags                   = IPv4

Then you should edit your /etc/services file to match:
      tftp            16869/tcp
      tftp            16869/udp
      tftp2           69/tcp
      tftp2           69/udp

You will also have to have perl installed and then install Net::Interfaces because of the third tftp kinda thing it does. Pick up the vmpboot.pl script from the link below (ignoring the rest of the article)
      http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=MediaMVP_LinuxHOWTO

Once you've started your DHCP and tftp servers, then run that script (putting it somewhere so it runs on boot)

WERRE NOT DONE YET!

You'll need to get a dongle.bin file and put it in your /tfptboot folder. Then run:
      cd /tftpboot
      dd if=dongle.bin of=dongle.bin.ver bs=1 count=40 skip=52
      chmod 777 ./*

Then all you need to do is create your dongle.bin.config file. Here is mine. the last line gives you the ability to watch recordings and live tv with the streaming protocol, rather than from NFS. I map all of my myth systems with /shares so all of my playlists etc match. Don't know why, but the rdate statement doesn't work. I'll figure that out later.
      rdate -s 216.106.184.58
      mkdir /shares
      mount -t nfs -o nolock,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,nfsvers=3 <IP of Myth Server>:/shares/ /shares
      mvpmc -f /etc/helvR10.fnt -s 169.254.1.10 &

You should now be able to plug the MVP in and get your myth recordings etc. You have to use the "file system" link to listen to music or view picutres, but hey...the developers will get it when they can I am sure.