Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

No sound output on 2 card setup

Help
2007-07-02
2012-10-30
  • Elden Armbrust
    Elden Armbrust
    2007-07-02

I have two soundcards in my Ubuntu 7.04 system. This hasn't proven to be a major issue with anything previously.
    However, it's the only thing I can imagine being wrong currently. I know sound is working, and working through ALSA. Here's the real kicker: Mumble is capturing the audio just fine. Output isn't working at all, though. Here's a list of things that might be useful:

Audio Card #1: Onboard CM8738
    Audio Card #2: Chaintech AV-710 (envy24)

The default ALSA card is #2, the AV-710. Both the input and output are set to "Default ALSA Card", yet only the input works.
    Nothing is muted, as I can hear things if I open up mplayer/totem/etc and play music/movies through ALSA. The WM sounds also play perfectly fine. Input and output work perfectly fine in Teamspeak as well. I also made sure to test that duplex was working properly. I played (using aplay) a WAV file, as well as used mplayer to play a video file using ALSA for output while talking.
    Mind you, the Windows version works on the same PC, and I know that the capturing is working because I am hosting the server on a local lan (the server being non-firewalled from the rest of the LAN) and connecting with another system. It doesn't matter which server I host the murmur daemon on, the issue persists. I doubt it's a TCP issue for that very reason, though I have tried checkmarking the TCP option. I have also gone through all of the different ALSA devices listed for card #2 to see if any of them would output audio. None did, sadly. I'll post back if I get anything working, and to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.
    -Elden

• Elden Armbrust
      Elden Armbrust
      2007-07-02

I thought it might be useful if I stated the version of Mumble/Murmur I was using...(duh)
      I have tried running Murmur 0.9.5, from the source tarball, on the Linux machines, and the Windows server from Mumble-0.9.5.exe. The Ubuntu system (the only Linux system with a sound card) exhibits the same problem no matter which OS/system hosts the daemon. The Mumble client on the Ubuntu system is 0.9.5, compiled from source.

• Does the console give any usefull output at all?