Mumble crippling computer over time, stuttering, distortions, freezes

Help
Svenpa
2012-11-07
2012-12-28
  • Svenpa
    Svenpa
    2012-11-07

Whenever I use mumble as I'm playing games (the only time I use it) it slowly over the course of around 40min starts to make the game lag and stutter. My voice and those that I hear become more and more distorted as time goes on until it eventually is unbearable. Shutting down the game and killing the mumble process does not fix the problem. Instead I get stuttering and generally low performance in windows, the mouse freezes every few seconds or so.

I've had this problem for as long as I've used mumble while playing games. The problem only goes away if I restart the computer or shut down mumble and log off windows and log back in. The game I play doesn't matter from what I can tell, it seems to happen in all of them. Including but not limited to: TF2, Left 4 Dead 1-2, Planetside 2. However, when I think back, I can't recall if it happened in ArmA and Battlefield 3 as well.

I've made several formats between the first time it happened and now. I've changed soundcard from a internal one to a Asus Xonar D2X. I've switched the mic plug between internal and the Xonar. I've even switched to an unofficial asus driver. Updated mumble, tried older versions, nothing have resolved the issue.

My specs are:
    i5 2.6 ghz
    AMD HD 5770
    6GB RAM
    Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Asus Xonar D2X

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Last edit: Svenpa 2012-11-07
  • Sounds bad, some tricks what coems to my mind is to set volume to 90% before you start mumble and game you play, second is to see that you dont have in mumble settings Default input Default output, select the soundcard manualy for input and output.

I use linux my self and i have problem my self also if volume is 100% the sound usualy starts to crackle alot, 90% volume helps for me. and if you can set programs volume lower also it might help, like mumble volume to 90% etc.

• Svenpa
      Svenpa
      2012-11-07

I'll give those things a try and see what happens, thanks.

• Svenpa
    Svenpa
    2012-11-07

I played around with the settings and did everything suggested above, and some more. Problem still persists, performance and voice stuttering in a 3D game becomes steadily worse as time goes on.

• Svenpa
    Svenpa
    2012-11-09

I just realized something. I've set my Windows to run in "Test mode" due to community drivers for the xonar doesn't otherwise validate.

Could this be of any trouble for mumble?

Last edit: Svenpa 2012-11-09
  • Do you have Overlay enabled? it is enabled by default so Disable it and see if it helps, and i gues you have in Network Use Quality of Service enabled in mumble? it should be enabled, but can try to see what happens if disable it.

• Svenpa
      Svenpa
      2012-11-10

Overlay is disabled, it caused some trouble with the STEAM overlay. Hm, I haven't tried doing anything with QoS, I'll give it a go, thanks. I think I'll try a fresh install as well, just in case.

• xenta
        xenta
        2012-12-28

Hello svenpa, i have the same problem as you are describing and i have bought a new computer becouse i thought it was the problem but it still did it. How did you get rid of the freezing/lagging when you have mumble on ? ivé tryd the things that Lari wrote but it didn´t work at all.

Thanks for an answer