Mumble continues to attenuate other applications while disabled.

Help
2014-07-14
2014-07-14
  • Jeffrey Davis
    Jeffrey Davis
    2014-07-14

I believe the title says it all. I don't like the attenuation feature, so I've always had it disabled, but for the longest time it's continued to lower the volume of other applications regardless of it being turned off. Spotify, in-game sounds(CS:GO, WoW, Dota2, etc), web browser audio (Youtube), are all affected by this, just to name a few. I've searched for solutions before without ever reaching out for help, and always came up empty, so.. here I am.

I use an Asus Xonar DG sound card, if it's worth mentioning.

Any ideas at all on what my problem might be?

• Jeffrey Davis
    Jeffrey Davis
    2014-07-14

Yes, I have that disabled as well.

Wasn't expecting such a quick response. :o

• Mikkel Krautz
    Mikkel Krautz
    2014-07-14

What version of Windows are you on?

How did you disable the attenuation feature? By unchecking both the "while others talk" and the "while you talk" checkbox? What percentage is "Attenuate applications by..." set to?

• Jeffrey Davis
    Jeffrey Davis
    2014-07-14

I'm on Windows 7.

Yes, unchecked both of them. I've even tried having it enabled and setting the percentage to both 0% and 1%, still attenuates by the same amount, which seems to be about half volume.

Last edit: Jeffrey Davis 2014-07-14
  • Kissaki
    Kissaki
    2014-07-14

Do you have Xonars Smart Volume feature enabled? (SVN)

I actually noticed this yesterday, but currently have SVN on on my Xonar D2 Audio Center.

• Kissaki
    Kissaki
    2014-07-14

My "attenuate by" slider in Mumble is greyed out, probably because I have it disabled in windows "communication" tab. Is it greyed out for you too?

• Jeffrey Davis
    Jeffrey Davis
    2014-07-14

It's not grayed out unless it's disabled.

I don't see anything labeled SVN, where's it located?

• Jeffrey Davis
    Jeffrey Davis
    2014-07-14

Oh, nevermind I found it. It's disabled.

• Stefan H.
    Stefan H.
    2014-07-14

If it is really switched off it shouldn't even touch the code paths that enables it to do this. Is this lowering actually only occurring when Mumble is running? I use a Xonar DX and besides the drivers being of horrible quality (I assume DG uses the same drivers?) I haven't seen any unexpected interactions there. I also have attenuation disabled.

• Jeffrey Davis
    Jeffrey Davis
    2014-07-14

Well, I've only noticed it when people speak in Mumble and it lowers the volume of my music/game sounds. Nothing else to my knowledge has ever caused this to happen.

I'm stumped.

I believe all Xonars use the same drivers, and yes, they're pretty horrible.