Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Mumble problem, stuttering sound.

Help
Waldemar
2012-11-18
2013-03-11
  • Waldemar
    Waldemar
    2012-11-18

Hi Everyone,

When two people (or more) are talking at once, stuttering sound. mini-mouth start flashing like crazy.
    I have so only on one server(I think). Other users do not have this problem.
    Please help.

Sorry for my English.

• GB_Fisherman
    GB_Fisherman
    2012-12-26

I too am getting this problem. Much help would be very appreciated!

• Pheyt
    Pheyt
    2013-02-14

I'm having same problem, anyone have a fix for this ?

• One of my guildie in wow has same problem some times, but its hes ISP what makes him lag, change the Quality settings to Low with Audio Tuning Wizzard and see if that helps. after that you can also go to Configure -> Settings
    and there change Audio Input and audio Output settings to lower.

• draehoje
    draehoje
    2013-02-14

not working ;/

• What Os you are using? USB headset? What version of mumble?
    One of my friend didn't have any sound at all and he unplugged some usb device can't remember what it was but it started working, and he was using regular headset not usb.
    Most bugs and stuttering in voice what i have heard, have been in win7.

• draehoje
    draehoje
    2013-02-15

This is problem with network because i turn on mumble on tablet and have this same problem.

• When you have mumble connected to server press "Server -> Information"
    and see Control channel / Voice channel how mutch you got "ms average latency"
    most of my guildies have like 20-30ms both, exept the one has sometimes over 4000ms then he starts stutter, and hes using dongle 3G for using net.

• JiiPee
      JiiPee
      2013-02-16

I wasn't able to use mumble with my 1Mbits/256Kbits 3G connection. At
      least not with settings what I normally use with 100/10Mbits VDSL2
      connection.
      Ping was just too high, prolly because too high quality setting so
      upload bandwide wasn't enough.

On 16.2.2013 13:55, Lari Hartikainen wrote:

When you have mumble connected to server press "Server -> Information"
      and see Control channel / Voice channel how mutch you got "ms average
      latency"
      most of my guildies have like 20-30ms both, exept the one has sometimes
      over 4000ms then he starts stutter, and hes using dongle 3G for using net.

Mumble problem, stuttering sound.
      https://sourceforge.net/p/mumble/discussion/492607/thread/11c47ea5/?limit=25#5a7a

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/mumble/discussion/492607/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/prefs/

• draehoje
    draehoje
    2013-02-17

My ms is TCP 222 UDP 25. Why?

• YunikoYokai5
    YunikoYokai5
    2013-02-22

I've had this issue for 2 days now. It just started randomly, I did nothing different. My ping, according to Mumble, got as high as 23'000 at one point. When all my friends talk at the same time (which is frequently) I cannot understand a single thing they say. They say I'm crystal clear and they aren't having this issue but I can't understand them at all.

I have tried the beta, I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling, I've tried using a different computer (to the same result), I've tried Windows XP, I've tried Mac OSX Snow Leopard, I have changed all the settings, I've reverted everything back to default. Nothing stops this.

I have also deafened myself during this to spare myself from the stuttering, but it seems like Mumble ignores that command when it stutters, or has serious, serious lag because they continue on talking and I still hear them (and the stutter).

If this issue isn't fixed soon, then we'll need to move onto something like Vent instead. We can't do multiplayer games like this because they are stuttering so much.

Last edit: YunikoYokai5 2013-02-22
  • Stefan H.
    Stefan H.
    2013-02-24

You can try disabling QoS in the Mumble settings to see whether that helps (some broken adapters/routers cannot cope with traffic using QoS). However if that doesn't help and your ping is high or you are experiencing package loss the issue most likely your or your friends connection to the server and not Mumble itself.

• YunikoYokai5
    YunikoYokai5
    2013-02-24

Turning off QoS did not fix the problem. Another thing with my ping, it only shoots up when 2 or more people speak at the same time. So the ping increase is a concequence of 2+ people talking. It does not matter which two+ either. When one speaks, it stays a stable 30ish.

Last edit: YunikoYokai5 2013-02-24
  • iNsAnE
    iNsAnE
    2013-02-24

It would be nice to know what ISP people have that are experiencing this problem.

• Stefan H.
    Stefan H.
    2013-02-24

Sounds like either a bandwidth or a packet throughput issue in your connection:

If the people on your server use 10ms audio packets two talking at the same time make 200 audio packets per second hit your router/modem/wifi. This shouldn't be an issue but there is horrible hardware out there that chokes on that or even thinks it is getting attacked.

Two people talking also mean twice the bandwidth on server and client though that is unlikely to be an issue.

You might want to do some more testing with different quality and audio per packet settings. Note however that those are sender defined. If you change it on your end that won't effect what is hitting you. The Mumble server doesn't do any mixing, re-encoding or re-packaging.

• YunikoYokai5
      YunikoYokai5
      2013-02-26

I'll play around and see, but it's just so weird how this problem occurs on Mumble but not on Skype or Vent. It's also really weird it just started happening for no apparent reason.

• clewraen
    clewraen
    2013-03-01

Can someone check the error is in the server version (not the client) 1.2.4?

• Haven't seen any errors in my Server.
    My server details:
    Ubuntu 12.10 (GNU/Linux 3.0.0-26-generic i686)
    KiB Mem: 766840 total,
    657696 used,
    109144 free,
    140016 buffers
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ @ 2087.5 MHz
    load average: 0,61, 0,40, 0,29

Not a fast computer but can manage running default servers options
    and murmur also,
    And my Mumble servers is:
    Murmur #1.2.4 ( 28 days 13h29m )Virtuals servers: 2 / 2
    Both servers use bandwidth "1200000"
    Haven't heard any claims in my server with users, and people is using
    Windows XP, 7, 8, Mac OSX and Linux versions, Some times they have sayed that my voice is krackling but then i have had mic boost a bit on and disabling mic boost helped,

Last edit: Lari Hartikainen 2013-03-02
  • clewraen
    clewraen
    2013-03-02

Is the ability to easily update the mumble server 1.2.2 to 1.2.4?
    I do not want to lose the database.

• YunikoYokai5
    YunikoYokai5
    2013-03-11

Right, well asking everyone to turn down their quality worked. However they now sound horrible due to the lack of quality. Nothing on my home network has changed, I don't think anything has changed via my ISP, my friend's don't have this problem and the Mumble server is fine as far as I am aware.

Did Mumble suddenly increase it's packet size to flood my network? There is absolutely no reason why this has happened and the alternative is to abandon Mumble entirely. I will be calling my ISP today to see if something has changed on their side.

Remember; Vent, Skype, TeamSpeak and other such programs do NOT have this problem and they are set to the same (or higher) quality by all of my friends than that being used on Mumble just now. I am completely stumped as to what has happened.