Help
Gambler
2014-07-14
2014-07-15
  • Gambler
    Gambler
    2014-07-14

Hey guys!
    Me and a few friends decided to play the game 'Mount&Blade: Warband' with Mumble for a proper roleplaying-atmosphere due to positional audio. We last tried it with Mumble probably about 5 months ago and it worked fine. Now 5 months later with the same settings and a bit of trying around we can't get it to work. I really don't know. I talked to someone who was using Mumble recently, about 2 weeks ago and when we tried it yesterday it didn't work for him either. Does anyone know what the problem could be, whether it's Client-Side or not? And maybe how to fix it?

• Stefan H.
    Stefan H.
    2014-07-15

I wasn't even aware there ever was PA support for this game up to now ;) From what I can tell we never had a specific plugin for this meaning this was either a 3rd party mod/plugin or the developers actually included our PA link capability. I noticed that the game received an update today for me in steam so maybe that's what broke whatever made it work. Do you have any more information on where this functionality came from?

• Gambler
    Gambler
    2014-07-15

I noticed the same 5 months ago and wondered yesterday, why it was working without a plugin. Even in the older versions there was no plugin. I've got absolutely no idea where this functionality comes from... There were SOME problems though: After spawning/respawning it took a while until PA kicked in, spectators could hear everyone and stuff. I also played some other games with the same roleplay group, which were not supported or in the plugin list either, I think it was called "The Last Outpost, RPG-X" or something.
    There was an update, but it was a small one concerning the size.
    "Mount&Blade Warband is now functional on OS X and Linux platforms and has enabled support for Module downloading with Steam Workshop", that's what it says on Steam. It's from Thursday last week.

• Stefan H.
    Stefan H.
    2014-07-15

Another game I didn't know about. Also never realized there were ppl. using Mumble for role-playing. Cool ;) I checked the game memory while running and usually you'd expect to see the string "MumbleLink" somewhere in there as that is the name of the shared memory region games must write their PA data in so Mumble will pick it up. Now that doesn't mean it can't be in there in some obfuscated way but my guess is it isn't. Seems like for some reason the devs decided to drop/disable that functionality. As the snippet we provide for Mumble link integration is cross platform and works on Windows, Linux and Mac I'm not quite sure why they would bother to do that. Is there a way to get back to an older version to check/compare?

• Gambler
    Gambler
    2014-07-15

I asked the Tech support of Warband right now whether they can provide some more detail on what they did in the update and if there is a way to downgrade the version. This might take a while. I personally don't know whether there's a way to downgrade, that's why I asked them.. Maybe there are incompatibilities? I don't know.