"Real forum ?"

damunix
2007-07-25
2012-10-30
  • damunix
    damunix
    2007-07-25

sf.net forum is not really easy to use, easy to read, and I don't think that it is a good version for mumble project. What do you think about it ?

I think we can make a real forum, on another server (and why don't use track for reporting bugs ?). For a server, no problem, I have a server which do anything, and I would be happy to alocate so disk space, cpu performance and bandwidth for mumble project :P

Any subjection ?

• javitonino
      javitonino
      2007-08-02

Only the main page is protected. To create your own page, go to something like http://mumble.sourceforge.net/FAQ_in_German (whatever you would like the page to be called) and you should be able to edit the page (it will be created if it doesn't exists).

And about the format, I think both wikis use the same format codes. So if you go to the first one you created, and click "text editor", it will show you the page with the codes used for formatting. You could try to paste that and see if it works. If not, you can still edit the page as many times as you wish :)

• This is my mistake.
        I closed off the SF integrated wiki to avoid future mistakes, and it's now impossible to fetch the data in raw form from it. I'll get the pages copied tomorrow.

• BarefeetXanadu
      BarefeetXanadu
      2007-08-03

Hello Thorvald,

thank you for Copying ;-)

Hope it's usefull. More will come, then in the right Wiki of course.

I'm on translating the ACL FAQ (With all BigBosses i can found fg) and put it up
      if it ready.

Wish you a good night and Best Regards

Xanadu Jürgen

• SF.net has easy backup functionality, good statistics, spam filtering and user control.

But the most important thing about SF.net is that they have longevity. The messages we post here will be indexed and remembered for a LONG time. I also have alternative servers we could use (same one which does the global server list), but I much prefer to use the integrated package that sf.net offers. After all, I might die in a traffic accident. If that happens, I'd want the forum posts and other usefull information to live on, something which won't happen if this was hosted on my private server that I suddenly stop paying for.

If you dislike the sf.net forums, and I will admit they are a bit cumbersome, please contribute to sourceforge project itself. The architecture of sf.net is, naturally, a sf.net project :)

• damunix
      damunix
      2007-07-26

Alright, I'm ok on the "advantage" of Sf.net server, but for new people who don't code (not for me) I don't think that it is a good vision of the project.

to have more people using this software, we have to invite them to test. I think that the project must be on sf.net, I think about svn, but I don't really see where is the problem to have an external server for the forum. It's not like a bug report, or Feature Request, which is really important.

• BarefeetXanadu
      BarefeetXanadu
      2007-08-01

Hello

for Germans we began to Build a Mumble Community under http://www.mumble-funk.de

We have 5 good Murmur Public Servers where everyone can join. And we have a Funk Server where User can talk into CB Radios and do their Radio Hobby via Mumble/Murmur.

I have sitting down and translate the Most of FAQ at this Time in German, the ACL FAQ will follow next time, so German Users have it Easy to administrate Mumble.

But first i have to say Thank you to Thorvald Natvig for this great Software.

And a wish, is it possible to do a little Function that switch on the COM RS232 the CTS to Ground if another User in the Channel is speaking (is another mouth than mine red then switch cts to GND) so we can control our Radios directly in Mumble with the COM Port. It is better then Usage of a VOX who will push the PTT by Incoming Audio Pegels.

Best Greetings to you all from Jürgen aKa Xanadu.

• javitonino
        javitonino
        2007-08-01

Uhm, maybe you should translate the FAQ's and so on in the wiki here. It will be easier to find for users, I think. Just an idea. And btw, I added a couple of articles to the FAQ yesterday, maybe you'll want to translate them.

• BarefeetXanadu
      BarefeetXanadu
      2007-08-02

i think it is a good Idea, if i know how the sf Wiki works.

But i have Time and hope i can do it in next Time for the Wiki.

Best Regards

Xanadu Jürgen

• BarefeetXanadu
        BarefeetXanadu
        2007-08-02

Hi Javitonino,

i have begun to fill the Wiki with the German Version of FAQ.

Thank you for the Tip.

ACL FAQ in German will Follow next Time. And your Changes you made in English FAQ too ;-)

Have a good Time with best Regards

Xanadu Jürgen

• javitonino
        javitonino
        2007-08-02

Uhm. I was refering to the wiki here: mumble.sourceforge.net In the other one, the only pages avalaible are what you have created, so I don't think they are going to be viewed too much.

You should register on mumble.sourceforge.net and then you will be able to edit pages. Just create something like FAQ in German or FAQ(German) or whatever you like. It shouldn't be hard to copy what you have already written in the other wiki, as they appear that they share the format. Just copypaste the contents pf the "text editor" mode, so you won't lose the format. Oh, and don't forget to put a link from FAQ to your page, so people can find it easily.

Keep up the good work ;)

• BarefeetXanadu
      BarefeetXanadu
      2007-08-02

hello,

i hope it will going on with registering on mumble.sourceforge.net.
      Well, i'am not a good Programmer, but if i can do what for Mumble, than i want to do it.

You mean, a Link from German FAQ to my Homepage or a Link from English FAQ to German FAQ, i will do the second last if i can register me on mumble.sf.net.

Ok have a good Time

Best Regards

Xanadu Jürgen

• BarefeetXanadu
      BarefeetXanadu
      2007-08-02

ok i have register on the Projectpage. But in the Wiki i can't reach the Edit Mode, there a Button appear who says "Protected". A normal Copy and Paste results in loosing the Formats and i don't want to offer crappy unformatted Texts ;-(. I think the Protected is good, so the Devs like my German FAQ and save them from vandalism, but i need to reach the Edit Mode to can Copy it properly to the right Wiki.

I hope someone can change this or copy it self to the Project Page.