Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

config/ini vs. registry

M^3
2006-12-09
2012-10-30
  • M^3
    M^3
    2006-12-09

I know people are starting to do "portable" software conversions(Firefox/Thunderbird/GAIM) for people to carry around on usb "thumb" drives, and I know that some people (including myself) aren't fond of software that dumps stuff in the registry on windows, so I was wondering if maybe mumble could me made to save its settings to a config file on windows (I assume it already does this on Linux, so it might be very easy to implement) and maybe search for this config file in mumble's home directory (and possibly the users profile directory) at launch and use these settings instead of ever touching the registry if the config file exists. Feel free to ignore this if you want, it is just a suggestion.
    ** I guess feature requests would have been a better place for this, oh well.

• M^3
      M^3
      2007-11-26

Did you even read the first post? How portable can it be if you read/write your settings to the user profile? How useful is this on a public terminal? Or a friend you are visiting who lives hundreds of miles away so you don't see them all that often. I think Registry settings with application directory .ini override is the better choice.

• metz
        metz
        2007-11-26

Best would be to pass the Ini path as an optional argument then (murmur has that already). That way the Ini is stored in $HOME (install directory is not writable on a properly setup system!) by default and you can create a desktop-link with "-ini ./mumble.ini" on the flash-pen.

• Hm. It's actually quite possible to do this, the problem is how to bootstrap the process... Guess we could make a checkbox in the installer for "store settings in program directory" which would write an empty mumble.ini, and thereafter use that file if it exists.

• drwilly
        drwilly
        2007-11-15

digs out topic
        I was wondering what the official result of this ini vs registry discussion is.
        Back then I created a Mumble.ini in Mumbles directory and so far it seemed like Mumble would actually make use of it. On the other hand mumble still stores AudioInputDevice and AudioOutputDevice under HKCU/Software/Mumble/Mumble.

Anyone care to enlighten me whats going on there?

• That would be a Bug (tm).

I'm at a conference with limited code access, so file a bug report so I don't forget?

• metz
        metz
        2007-11-26

The INI should never be written into the install directory. Todays systems are multi-user capable and thus you should only write below $HOME, even on Windows.

• M^3
      M^3
      2006-12-12

Sounds good to me. I would also be nice if there was an option in the settings to save the current settings to mumble.ini so it would possible to change over to that without having to reinstall. You might also want to check for the mumble.ini on program exit. That way if someone wants to import their settings to the registry from another machine, all they have to do is put their mumble.ini file in the mumble folder, start mumble, then delete the mumble.ini and exit.

• Pilot_51
      Pilot_51
      2007-11-18

I could really use this feature for testing snapshots. It bugs me how the snapshot overwrites the settings for the main installation or vice versa.