Updated overlay for Win32

2007-08-30
2012-10-30
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • I just updated the overlay for Win32, and it now uses a different approach for hooking D3D9 games, and also supports OpenGL. I would really appreciate if people downloaded the latest snapshot and verified that the overlay works in

• All games it used to work in.
    • Any DX9 games it didn't work in.
    • Any OpenGL games.

Please report either success or failure in this post.

Tested and working are:
    - BF2142 Northern Strike
    - BioShock
    - ETQW
    - Supreme Commander
    - Dawn of War

• M^3
      M^3
      2007-08-30

oooh, can't wait to try that OpenGL support(except I am at work, so I have to (or at least should) wait).

• metz
      metz
      2007-08-30

The new OpenAL hooking should really be made working with linux as well. UT2004 and Quake4 use it so one could test with those games. Not sure if both use OpenAL on windows too.

• Well, the reason the OpenAL hook wasn't announced with much fanfare is that there isn't a single game out there which actually uses the full 3D positioning of OpenAL :(

Some games just create 5 sound sources at positions which happen to match a 5.1 speaker setup, and premix to those sources, while others (such the one about fields of battle) premultiply by the world matrix before they set up sound sources. IE: When you turn your head left, they don't tell OpenAL to move the listener to the left, they move the entire world to the right instead.

After finding out this wonderfull fact, I did some digging around on Linux, and it seems it's the same there :( Besides, we don't support positional audio output on Linux yet, so it would be kind of useless :)

Soooo. Until I have a single game where this actually works, I'm going to let the code quietly rot.

• ragedavis
      ragedavis
      2007-08-31

Hey there!

I just tried to do some testing on the new snapshot, but actually,
      this one is not working on my machine at all.
      Trying to start it (in the usual way for windows users: double click on the icon),
      results in a sandclock, but no GUI shows up, though mumble.exe is listed in the
      task manager. Therefor no more testing (BF2, Armed Assault, Flight Simulator)
      was possible.

BTW: Overlay works in the stable release (1.0.0), but in BF2, one gets kicked by
      PunkBuster, when using it.

Greetings

Rage

• Does the dbus-daemon start up? (IE: does it show up in the list of processes?)
        If it doesn't, could you go to c:\program files\mumble\bin and start it manually and see if that works?

• ragedavis
          ragedavis
          2007-08-31

Hey there!

Checked it out:

When starting mumble.exe, dbus-deamon does not show up in the process list.
          Starting it (by double- clicking on the icon in the explorer) results in an error saying
          libxml2.dll is not found.
          Trying to start it from a commandline within the mumble install folder
          (C:\Programme\Gaming\Mumble2> bin\dbus-deamon.exe)it complains, that there is
          no configuration file specified.

Greetings

Rage

• ragedavis
            ragedavis
            2007-08-31

@edit@

I also tried
            C:\Programme\Gaming\Mumble2> bin\dbus-deamon.exe --config-file=C:\Programme\Gaming\Mumble2\etc/session.conf

but this results in an error saying" not enough memory,
            but I think 1.5 GB should be sufficient.
            ;-)

Greetings

Rage

• Ok, try this:
              cmd
              cd \path\to\mumble
              bin\dbus-daemon.exe --session --print-address

Does that work at all? IE: Does it print out a tcp:host:blablabla line?

• ragedavis
                ragedavis
                2007-08-31

Hey there!

Nope, error message (not enough memory) appears again!

Greetings

Rage

• But.. But...

Ok. I'm stomped.

OS, OS version and user privilege level?

• ragedavis
                    ragedavis
                    2007-08-31

Here we go...

Software:
                    Win XP (german), Service Pack 2, latest patches installed...

Hardware:
                    Athlon XP 3000+ (32 bit), 1,5 GB RAM (MDT), ATI X1600 (AGP), DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B (Nforce 2 Ultra), onboard AC´97 sound, onboard LAN...

User privileges:
                    Administrator

Under the same configuration, snapshot version "mumble-2007-07-21_20-39.exe" worked (exept those little thingies I already mentioned in the snapshot post, which you already fixed)...

I have no idea if this info help´s, but I´m still here for further testing.
                    I´m also connected to a 1.0.0 mumble server, to increase communication throughput, if you like.
                    It´s called rgXserver.de

Greetings

Rage

• Could you try downgrading to that snapshot and do the same bin\dbus-deamon test?

I assume you've tried rebooting?

Unfortunately, I'm at work. No microphone :(
                      Could you send me your jabber by email?

• ragedavis
                        ragedavis
                        2007-08-31

Terribly sorry!!

Was all my fault!!
                        I did not delete the directory, the older snapshot version was installed to (only uninstalled via control panel, software) and reinstalled the new snapshot into that folder.

After a proper uninstall (via control panel, software AND deleting the program folder, rebooting) the actual snapshot starts up, as expected (GUI and DBUS- deamon)!

(Figured it out, when downgrading (unpropperly) to the older snapshot resulted in the same error as the new one.)

My apologies!!!

Rage

• M^3
      M^3
      2007-08-31

Well, I did a local test of the Aug 30th snapshot with World of Padman (a free quake 3 engine game) and the first time it rendered my name fine, the second time I launched the gamed (I had to download the map pack and install it) all I got was a translucent gray box where my name should have been. I must say I was pretty happy to see it work, just some kinks to work out.

• M^3
        M^3
        2007-08-31

I just quit and relaunched the aug 30th mumble snapshot and the overlay worked perfectly the first run of W.O.P. but after quitting and reluanching w.o.p. I got the same gray box, so it is repeatable, at least for me.

• The problem is that the overlay marks the texture as "finished updating", but there's no mechanism to remove that mark once a new game is started. So the texture is never copied into texture memory and remains a grey blob. I'll get it fixed.

• gabrielcz
      gabrielcz
      2007-09-03

there's a problem with Rfactor.
      I talk about this on other post :( please move it here :) /i don´t saw this tread

• This thread is about the new overlay in the current snapshot releases.

I just tried RFactor, and it works fine.

• M^3
      M^3
      2007-09-06

"World of Padman" worked fine with the Sept 1st snapshot, at least in my limited testing.

• M^3
      M^3
      2007-09-06

Funny thing. i had left mumble & murmur running on my work PC after testing the new overlay stuff in WOP.
      Anyway, I was looking at pchelpware (http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/) to see if it might be useful to my dept and found that the new mumble overlay also works on the pchelpware viewer. Don't know how useful it is on a remote assistance screen, but still kinda funny. (I expect it would not work if I had checked the "disable DirectX" setting in PChelpware)

• M^3
      M^3
      2007-09-21

(Sept 1st compile): Works good on "Dungeon Siege 2: broken world" (dx9), I finally got my friend in California to try it out. He still prefers the sound on teamspeak better, but I have no idea why. He did say the last word I say each time was repeated/echoed once, but that went away after a while, and I have no idea why that was happening. Also, when I turned on positional audio I could not hear anything at all from him until I turned it off.

• Stefan M.
      Stefan M.
      2007-10-24

I tested the overlay with two games (Mumble 1.1.0 final).

ET:QW retail version 1.1
      works good

WarRock
      Overlay isn't visible
      Since it is a well known free playable shooter from http://www.warrock.net
      it would be nice to see support for it.

sincerely
      Stefan1200

• Do you know which graphics technology it uses?

• Stefan M.
          Stefan M.
          2007-10-24

WarRock uses DirectX, but I don't know if version 9 or 8.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)