Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Hi, Great Project + A few Qs.

Phenax
2007-06-20
2012-10-30
  • Phenax
    Phenax
    2007-06-20

Digg It :)
    http://digg.com/software/Mumble_An_open_source_TeamSpeak_Ventrilo_alternative

First Question:
    The positional sound support seems to use DirectSound. The plugins seem to use Windows API as well. Are there any plans to support positional sound in Linux? I believe you could use OpenAL in this situation.

Second Question:
    What about text-to-speech in Linux. There were some specifications somewhere, but I can't seem to find them now. Festival, would that work? Is there anyway to get it to work in Linux?

I got two crashes on my server. Can't seem to reproduce them but I'm now readily producing core-dumps so I'll post a backtrace if it happens again.

But, I must say.. this software -- in its current state -- is simply amazing. God forbid why I'm just learning about it as right now I believe it is a totally viable alternative to major competitors. I come from a gaming community where people use both Windows and Linux (and even a few FreeBSD, maybe nice to see support for that if it doesn't already work -- FreeBSD uses OSS). It's nice to see an open-source alternative that's already come this far.

I commend you for coming this far and encourage you to go much farther. Great software, my friends and I enjoy it very much. Trying to spread the word :)

Thanks,
    Kyle "Phenax" Hunter

• damunix
      damunix
      2007-06-20

I use Mumble on a Linux distribution (archlinux), and their is no problem, beacuase of the support of Alsa. But I never test the windows version.... I don't really think their is a big difference between widnows and linux version (in the source code their is one !!! but only for device :D )

• OpenAL on ALSA can only use dual buffering, and not the octa-buffering we're currently employing. Long story short; for live streamed audio, OpenAL will have about twice the latency of raw ALSA access.

Text-To-Speech; there was a patch in the works to open a pipe to festival, but the developer of that patch seems to have vanished. It shouldn't be too hard to do, so I'll .. uh.. Could you submit a feature request for it so I don't forget?

For crashes, backtraces would be immensely helpfull. It may be "beta", but crashes on the server is still an embarassment for me.

And for the rest.. Thank you :)