Murmur / SSE troubles

Mystiqq
2006-11-07
2012-10-30
  • Mystiqq
    Mystiqq
    2006-11-07

Hi!

Im trying to run murmur on rather old computer (AMD 900, ASUS A7V-E, 512MB, etc.) but as it does not support any fancy SSE im not able to use it. Is there any way i could get non-SSE compiled version of the Mumble server?

ANY help is appreciated.

Cheers!

• Mystiqq
      Mystiqq
      2006-11-08

Thanks for the reply.

With little help i managed to compile murmur using the "qmake murmur.pro" instructions in the sources install text file. The exe works but it now requires the mingw10.dll. However, it still uses "SSE" as ive not found a way to disable it.

Theres couple options that comes to my mind. First would be that i should compile it on the old computer(?). Second one is that i should use gcc and use its command line options to disable the sse. Third is that theres some options i could put in the pro/pri file(s) that would disable the sse but ive got no idea what.

Any ideas you can give me would be helpful, just to point me to the right direction. :)

Thanks in advance!

• Open murmur.cpp and remove the following code snippet:

// Check for SSE and MMX, but only in the windows binaries

ifdef Q_OS_WIN

define cpuid(func,ax,bx,cx,dx) asm volatile ("cpuid": "=a" (ax), "=b" (bx), "=c" (cx), "=d" (dx) : "a" (func));

define MMXSSE 0x02800000

unsigned int ax, bx, cx, dx;
        cpuid(1,ax,bx,cx,dx);
        if ((dx & MMXSSE) != MMXSSE) {
            ::MessageBoxA(NULL, "Mumble requires a SSE capable processor (Pentium 3 / Ahtlon-XP)", "Mumble", MB_OK | MB_ICONERROR);
            exit(0);
        }

endif

• Mystiqq
      Mystiqq
      2006-11-08

Yey, it works. Thanks a lot! :)

Going to test it later today...

Cheers!

• You'll need to compile it yourself. Murmur doesn't have that many dependencies; if I recall correctly all you need is the qt-4.2.1 mingw version, which includes the compiler you need.