Help me help you

2007-07-31
2012-10-30
  • Mumble is gaining popularity: Yay.
    We're getting more and more users: Good.
    We're getting quite a few public servers: Better.

We're getting more questions asked per month than we used to get per year: Not good.

I used to answer every question asked here on the forums and comment on all problems. However, I've reached the point where I'm spending more time answering questions and writing explanations than I am fixing bugs or implementing new features. Lately I've been skimming forum posts and answering a few random ones, and I feel kind of bad for all the ones that go unanswered. I'm not ignoring them, I just don't have the time.

As the summer is over and I'm starting a new job tomorrow, I will have even less time in the coming months. I have a ton of features that I'd like to add, and quite a few bugs that really need fixing, but keeping my end users happy is important, and this is mostly a single-developer project.

So, I need help. If you see a question asked here that you know the answer to, even if that answer is "RTFM" or just a link to a forum post you found with the search button, please post that answer. If you do this in a timely manner (ie: within 12 hours of the original posting), I can ignore that post and focus on the ones that nobody knows the answers to. If you want to be extra helpfull, update the FAQ on the wiki and the documentation after you post (and update the docs after, that way people know you're working on it).

If you want Mumble to continue the current pace of adoption and feature enhancement, please jump in and do your part.

• ragedavis
      ragedavis
      2007-08-13

Since my knowledge on mumble is just starting to grow, as well as my advanced computer using skills are, the only help, I can offer is answering on problems I ran in myself (for I know how to solve them, afterwards...), help translating the wiki into german and maybe add some pages, for example one for "Building windows" (german and english if wanted). Plus, I do not mind being used as a beta-tester, meaning to offer my hardware to try compiling/running new versions, specially since its the coder(s) and my computer, who are doing the bigger part of the work...

Since I am still playing BF2 frequently, I could also try to figure out, what changed with the last updates of BF2, concerning the positional audio. So maybe the BF2 plugin could be revived, eventhough I really doubt that I will gain enough skills/knowledge to write the sourcecode myself, before BF3 is out...

Rage

• If anyone wants the job of "community manager" full time, please let me know.

Requirements would be:
      - General understanding of how Mumble works. Enough to answer questions not based on what you've read, but what you've done and seen yourself.
      - Good communication skills. This includes the ability to write clear and reasonably grammar correct English. You don't need to be a native speaker of English, but you do need to be able to write with sufficient quality that people can easily understand you.
      - About an hour available each day. Writing answers take longer than you think, as you'll need to figure out what the user is misunderstanding or what the problem is. You'll also need to make that commitment every day, so that forum posts are answered in a timely fashion (preferably within 48 hours). Hence, this isn't really something you can do "only on the weekends".
      - Long term consistency. Filling this position means "direct developer access" (oooh ;)), meaning that if something is unclear to YOU, I and whatever other developers are relevant will invest the time that is necesarry to teach/explain it to the point that you understand not only what it is, but why it is way and what reasoning is behind the design decision. We do this because this will enable you to answer questions based on knowledge rather than assumption. However, I'm not really interrested in doing that and then having you bail out a month later, as that means I'd have to repeat the process ;)
      - Old enough to legally drink beer in a public pub in your country of residence, and mature enough to always choose a pub over a disco and also understand why this is a requirement.

• javitonino
      javitonino
      2007-08-01

I've already been doing this (I mean helping in the forum and the wiki) for a while now. I usually visit the forum a couple of times a day (too much free time :P) and try to answer what I can. I have been also working in the wiki lately (since yesterday, that I discovered I could edit pages (I thought I can't because of the main page being blocked)) and have been working on updating it (there is some old documentation there).

I have enough time to spare so I will continue doing that and maybe I will submit some more patches (This is the first project that has accepted one of my patches :D). So if you want me to continue doing that but "officially" just let me know.

• Pilot_51
      Pilot_51
      2007-08-02

I've been going here about once or twice a day on average, being sure to look at all the bugs, feature requests, and forum posts that interest me or involve something I've experienced with Mumble. I guess all I need to do is act like I'm part of the team by helping out as much as I could. So far all I've done with the Wiki was just corrections to grammar or spelling, since I didn't want to start off big and make someone mad.

How I match up with requirements:
      1 - I have a pretty good understanding of Mumble and Murmur from the end-user perspective, but not the source code.
      2 - Check. I'm always careful with my grammar and spelling when posting on forums and writing emails. I'm not so careful when chatting, but I don't think that's relevant here.
      3 - I can't say I can dedicate much time to it, I've got a lot on my plate. If I was paid for it I'd jump on it and you might get more than you asked for, but I know that's not an option since you don't get paid aside from occasional donations to work on Mumble. Right now I spend maybe up to an hour a day at most when I post or about 10 minutes at most when I just read. The more I feel like a part of the community, the more time I'll spend with it, especially when I consider the active community members my friends.
      4 - Most of the communities I hang out with have spanned over several years, usually until they die off or stop accepting me. I was a loyal TeamSpeak user and server for about 5 years up until I found Mumble, and since my suggestions and bug reports were quickly noticed and implemented in Mumble while they were ignored for TS, I expect my loyalty for Mumble could go even further than that.
      5 - I turned 21 last month, so I'm old enough to legally drink beer here in the US, but I don't for a number of reasons (mostly morality). I don't go to pubs or discos.