Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Problems building from src on Ubuntu 9.04

Help
Todd Allen
2009-05-02
2013-03-06
  • Todd Allen
    Todd Allen
    2009-05-02

I just followed the directions in packaging/README-MAINTAINER.txt, installed the dependencies, downloaded the code, etc., but "make build" failed with:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.././binutils -I. -D_GNU_SOURCE -I. -I.././binutils -I../bfd -I.././binutils/../bfd -I.././binutils/../include -DLOCALEDIR="\"/opt/mspgcc/share/locale\"" -Dbin_dummy_emulation=bin_vanilla_emulation   -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror -g -O2 -c cxxfilt.c
    cc1: warnings being treated as errors
    cxxfilt.c: In function ‘demangle_it’:
    cxxfilt.c:66: error: format not a string literal and no format arguments
    cxxfilt.c:71: error: format not a string literal and no format arguments
    make[5]: *** [cxxfilt.o] Error 1
    make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/ta/mspgcc/sf/packaging/build/binutils-2.18/binutils'

I fixed this (printf() was called without a format string parameter), tried again, but it failed on a different module.  Before going too far down this road, is there source code I could download that would have a better chance of compiling?

Thanks,
    TA

• cutaway
      cutaway
      2009-06-22

Any word on this as I am experiencing the same problem.

Cutaway

• cutaway
      cutaway
      2009-06-22

Solved:

Edit the makefile and scroll down to "binutils-build".  Modify the "./configure" line to include CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wno-error" as seen below:

-------------------
          cd $(BUILDDIR)/$(BINUTILS) && ./configure --target=msp430 $(CROSSOPT) --prefix=$(PREFIX) \                 --disable-nls --disable-shared --enable-debug --disable-threads \                 --with-gcc --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-stabs CFLAGS="-g -O2 -Wno-error"\                 >$(BUILDDIR)/binutils-build.log 2>&1
      -------------------

Then drive on as usual.

Good luck,
      Cutaway