Best version for a DOS 6.22 machine?

Artie
2011-10-31
2013-04-30
  • Artie
    Artie
    2011-10-31

What is the best version of MpxPlay for pure DOS 6.22 machine? (No Windows at all.)
    Some of the newer versions seem to have enhancements meant for Win machines, but I'm not sure. I'm running 1.46 now. This is on a Dell Latitude Pentium 150.

Thanks;
    Artie

• Mpxplay
    Mpxplay
    2011-11-02

That's true, I haven't tested the last 2 versions (1.59, 1.58) under native DOS, but otherwise a couple of thing can fail the running/useing of Mpxplay. Especially third party TSRs…
    I always recommend the latest versions (currently the v1.59a), but if it seems it's not 100% correct, then try the older versions.

• Artie
    Artie
    2011-11-03

Thank you, my friend. And I made a mistake in my first post . . . I'm running ver 1.48a, which works perfectly. I'll play with the latest version to see how it performs and I'll let you know if there's any bugs in a DOS 6.22 machine.

By the way, can you verify something for me? This will be a dumb question, but if I set the "options" in the .ini file, such as pre-buffer, sound volume etc., then I don't need those options in the command line, correct? (Such as -bp -scv, etc.)

Thanks;
    Artie

• Mpxplay
    Mpxplay
    2011-11-04

The reading "order" of the settings:
    1. the options are burned into mpxplay.exe too (initialized with a default value at program start)
    2. the program reads the values/options from the mpxplay.ini (you can delete/remove mpxplay.ini, then the program simply skips this part)
    3. program reads/sets the options from the command-line (if no options on the command line, program will use the settings of mpxplay.ini)

btw.  the UseVariables=3 at v1.59 by default, so the program saves the desktop-modified values (like mixer settings) in mpxplay.ini

btw2. I don't plan to do further modifications in the player and playlist parts of the program (v1.59), so if anybody finds a bug there, please tell/write it to me.
    I work only on the tcpip communication, I've made some bugfixes in the ftp-client and I try to make a http directory and file client (without streaming handling yet). I don't know when will I finish the latter…

• dos386
    dos386
    2011-11-24

> What is the best version of MpxPlay for pure DOS

1.58 (I didn't test 1.59-xxx but I assume they work too)

> (No Windows at all.)

:-) Considered FreeDOS or EDR-DOS ? http:/www.drdos.org http:/www.freedos.org

> Some of the newer versions seem to have enhancements meant for Win machines

There is a Win32 version and there are enhancements specific to this version, but they should not hurt the DOS version.

> I'm running 1.46 now.

The time has come to update.

> This is on a Dell Latitude Pentium 150.

Should be sufficient ;-)

• Mpxplay
    Mpxplay
    2011-11-24

btw.
    1. I don't see any significant speed loss at the newer versions, probably (the DOS version of) Mpxplay v1.59 still can work on a faster 486 CPU too (but I hope everybody have a newer machine already).
    2. There are some win32 related developments in the latest versions (unicode chars, credentials handling, desktop speed improvements), but most of the new features are common in the DOS and Win32 versions (like the new file formats, extended tag editing, dynamic playlist handling, multiply tabs). And don't forget about the hundreds of bugfixes…