use mplayer not in PATH

Scott Serr
  • Scott Serr
    Scott Serr

I've build a custom directory structure much like you would see in /usr/local on many boxes.  I have firefox, mplayer, mplayer plugin, etc there.

For ease of use I would like someone to be able to run:
    but WITHOUT having /usr/local/bin in their PATH.

This works fine but mplayer plugin can't find mplayer if /usr/local/bin is not in it's path.

What is the easiest way to force mplayer plugin to use a specific mplayer (path)?  I've looked carefully at the ./configure and some at the source where it is execvp()'ing but nothing jumps out at me other than introducing a bad hack and seeing if it will work.

Maybe I could force it to look in $PREFIX/etc/mplayer-plugin.conf and is there something I could put in there to make it find $PREFIX/bin/mplayer ?

• Kevin DeKorte
      Kevin DeKorte

Currently there is not a way to have mplayerplug-in use a mplayer that is not in the path. You have a couple of options

1. You could edit the source and have it open the one where you want it
      2. you could write a script named mplayer and put it in the path or symlink mplayer to a directory in the path. Usually $HOME/bin is in the path, so that is a good place to put a local copy.

Originally we had this option in there, but it was determined that people would mess it up and put something like /usr/bin/ls for the executable name in the config file and cause a lot of problems. It was also deemed a minor security risk due to that.