URL of file is displayed rather than video

Mike B
  • Mike B
    Mike B

I have the latest version of both mplayer and mplayerplugin installed as instructed along with all the required associated other items

Red Hat 9

when attempting to play a windows streaming media file the mplayer logo does come up in the new window however rather than actually playing the video in the window ,the space contains text to the effect "playing file: ......" with a very long url for the file. I have not seen this issue discussed here I wonder if anyone has seen this previously?

Mike B

• Dan Walker
      Dan Walker

I'm having the same problem, Mike. 

I just installed Mandrake Linux 10.0 (dumped Windows XP - Yay!) this weekend along with Firefox 0.9.1, MPlayer 0.92, and mplayerplug-in 2.66.  Everything works great with MPlayer in both command-line and GUI, I successfully performed all of the tests that you have on the HOWTO page, but I'm also getting the mplayer logo with the "playing file: url" message.  If I right-click the window and go to full screen, the movie does appear with the following issues:

1)  Nothing I do seems to control what's going on.  I can't stop the movie and it keeps replaying over and over.  Sometimes I'm unable to get back to the desktop/other browser windows and have to end my session!  :(

2)  I don't know if this is related, but the timer is always shown and I have no way of getting rid of it.

I've tested the DareDevil sites as well as Yahoo! movies (try to view a SpiderMan clip in Windows Media format).

Thanks for all of your efforts!

Dan W.

• Kevin DeKorte
        Kevin DeKorte

I would highly suggest you update mplayer to something more current. 0.92 is over a year old.

• stephen

Same problemn Suse 8.2
      stephenp@atholon:/etc> mplayer --version
      MPlayer 1.0pre4-3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon Thunderbird 1284 MHz (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
      Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
      CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
      Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
      To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
      Reading config file /etc/MPlayer/mplayer.conf
      Reading config file /home/stephenp/.mplayer/config
      You added '--' but no filenames presented!

Audio arrives but no vision
      Thought it might be a codec so updated to the latest codecs.
      No change.

• stephen

looks like the same issue as the trailers problem with 2 urls.

Built mplayer from cvs and it seems to be ok.