Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

works in firefox but not epiphany or galeon

Help
irrevenant
2006-09-14
2013-05-13
  • irrevenant
    irrevenant
    2006-09-14

mplayer-plugin works in firefox but not epiphany or galeon.  In epiphany and galeon, launching a .mpg just brings up a blank screen.

According to both epiphany and galeon's about:plugins screens mplayer-plugin is installed.

This is only a recent occurance and probably came about as a result of a recent upgrade.

Can anyone please advise where the problem might be and how I can fix it, please?

• Kevin DeKorte
      Kevin DeKorte
      2006-09-14

Well you don't say much about your system. But I am using mplayerplug-in CVS with epiphany 2.16 on FC6 and everything is working great.

You may try running epiphany from a terminal window and see if any errors come out.

• irrevenant
        irrevenant
        2006-09-15

'GNOME Web Browser 2.14.2.1 Using “gecko-1.8” backend'.  I'm running under Debian Etch and this started happening after I upgraded some stuff (unfortunately I upgraded a bunch of stuff at once, and I'm not sure exactly what).  I'll try running from terminal and see what happens, thanks.

• Kevin DeKorte
          Kevin DeKorte
          2006-09-15

Ok, the error message from galeon is not a big deal. Also are you using a pre-packaged version of mplayerplug-in or are you compiling it yourself. There is a package in Debian unstable.

Also, the 'gecko-1.8' comment is bothering me a little. But it should be fine.

Kevin

• Kevin DeKorte
            Kevin DeKorte
            2006-09-15

You also might try this

echo "debug=1" >> $HOME/.mplayer/mplayerplug-in.conf

and rerun epiphany from a terminals and see if anything comes out when you got to a page that contains a video.

• irrevenant
              irrevenant
              2006-09-16

I only get the same messages as before.

I'm using the latest official debian package for etch.

• Kevin DeKorte
                Kevin DeKorte
                2006-09-16

This appears to be a packaging issue, please open a bug with Debian. As it should work with no issues and it does on FC6. When I use firefox as my gecko base. Firefox, epiphany, and galeon should all be compiled against the same gecko and I believe that is your problem. Expecially since mplayerplug-in works with Firefox on your machine.

• irrevenant
      irrevenant
      2006-09-15

Epiphany gives me no error messages, but galeon gives me "(galeon:23391): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed".

Thanks.