Help
robatino
2006-04-14
2013-05-13
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • robatino
    robatino
    2006-04-14

After installing mplayerplug-in 3.25, I found that clicking on a link for a CNN.com video results in what appears to be an infinite loop without the video ever playing.  This didn't happen with 3.21.

• Kevin DeKorte
      Kevin DeKorte
      2006-04-14

With mplayerplug-in CVS and mplayer CVS everything works ok. Try upgrading to mplayerplug-in CVS and see if that fixes the problem.

OR

Post the error.

• robatino
      robatino
      2006-04-15

How do I save the output to a file?

• Kevin DeKorte
        Kevin DeKorte
        2006-04-15

set "debug=1" in the mplayerplug-in.conf file and run firefox from a terminal.

• robatino
      robatino
      2006-04-16

I did what you suggested.  Unfortunately, in FC5, /usrt/bin/firefox is a script which does complicated environment initializing and then invokes firefox-bin.  I get no terminal output running "firefox", and don't know how to start it otherwise.  Can you reproduce the problem running the 3.25 RPM version?  Both the FC4 and FC5 versions have the same problem.  I went back to 3.21 which doesn't have this problem.

• Kevin DeKorte
        Kevin DeKorte
        2006-04-17

Get the firefox-out script attached to this bug..

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1470259&group_id=71239&atid=530623

And then run firefox from a terminal with the command

./firefox-out

And let me know what the output is.

• Kevin DeKorte
        Kevin DeKorte
        2006-04-17

Looks like a codec error to me... might try to install the mplayer optional codec packages.

---- from the log ----
        READ: VO: [xv] 468x262 => 468x262 Planar YV12

----player thread: panel height in thread = 35
        READ: Selected video codec: [wmv9dmo] vfm: dmo (Windows Media Video 9 DMO)

READ: ==========================================================================

READ: AO: [oss] 44100Hz 1ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)

READ: Starting playback...

drawing panel
        height = 297 panel= 16
        showbuttons = 1
        showcontrols = 1
        READ:

READ:

READ: MPlayer interrupted by signal 8 in module: decode_video

----player thread: breaking read loop - interrupted
        ----player thread: tryagain = 2
        ----player thread: playNode returned = 1
        ----player thread: close done

• robatino
          robatino
          2006-04-17

I have no problem playing the video using mplayerplug-in 3.21, with no other changes.  I'm using the all-20050412.tar.bz2 codec tarball from mplayerhq.hu.  I will send the corresponding debug output using 3.21.

• Kevin DeKorte
            Kevin DeKorte
            2006-04-17

Sorry, but I installed 3.25 and CVS and neither have any problems playing the videos at cnn.com on my machine.

I see one small difference in the output.. in that 3.25 uses http urls and 3.21 uses mms urls. This change was made as many sites give higher quality video on the http channel vs the mms channel.

You never mentioned what version of mplayer you were using (the mplayer debug information does not give a date code) or where you got it.

I would suggest getting a newer version of mplayer or perhaps even compiling it yourself.

Kevin

• robatino
              robatino
              2006-04-17

My MPlayer is from the Freshrpms repo (mplayer-1.0-0.26.20060314.fc5).

• Kevin DeKorte
                Kevin DeKorte
                2006-04-17

You might try the one from here. No guarantees as I build my from CVS.

http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/testing/5/i386/

You might need to install ffmpeg and a few other things in that directory too.

• robatino
      robatino
      2006-04-17

I emailed the output debug.txt to you directly, since this forum doesn't appear to support file attachments.

• robatino
      robatino
      2006-06-27

Freshrpms updated MPlayer to mplayer-1.0-0.28.pre8.fc5.  Same problem exists with 3.25.  I don't want to try a different MPlayer since a large number of already installed packages are associated with the Freshrpms version.

• Kevin DeKorte
        Kevin DeKorte
        2006-06-27

Try setting your vo to x11 and perhaps try the current CVS of mplayerplug-in. I cannot duplicate your problem, so having as much information as you can give me is the only way I can solve your problem.

• robatino
          robatino
          2006-06-27

That fixes it - I set vo=x11 in mplayerplug-in.conf and it works properly.  With vo=xv (the default?) it just loops without playing.

• robatino
            robatino
            2006-06-27

So is this a bug in mplayer, mplayerplug-in, the CNN web site, or a problem with my hardware (I'm using integrated video)?  And is there a loss of efficiency in using x11 instead of xv?

• Kevin DeKorte
              Kevin DeKorte
              2006-06-27

It is probably a limitation of the hardware or of the driver. I am using a i915 chipset in my machine and xv does work, but has issues when certain options in xorg.conf are enabled so I either use gl (you need a decent 3d video card for this) or x11 on my machine. x11 is one of the slower drivers in mplayer, and you may see some tearing of the video, but in general I find that it works ok. So unless your processor is maxed during playback using x11 I would not worry about it much.

• robatino
                robatino
                2006-06-27

When I tried to play one of the videos on CNN (it's looping now without playing, since I set everything back to the defaults), the text file mplayUO8C4f appeared in /tmp:

[Reference]
                Ref1=http://wmscnn.stream.aol.com.edgestreams.net/cnn/bestoftv/2006/06/26/larry.king.monday.cnn.ws.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf
                Ref2=http://130.81.64.30:80/cnn/bestoftv/2006/06/26/larry.king.monday.cnn.ws.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf

I can play the first URL using mplayer and the default xv.  The second one fails, even if I specify -vo x11.  It's pretty trivial to work around mplayerplug-in and just play the videos manually, but in this case xv doesn't seem to be the problem.

• Kevin DeKorte
                  Kevin DeKorte
                  2006-06-28

The second video is broke... or at least mplayer can't play it... Not an mplayerplug-in bug, but perhaps an mplayer issue. It looks like the URL doesn't work as it needs authentication

Connecting to server 130.81.64.30[130.81.64.30]: 80...
                  Authentication required.
                  Authentication failed. Please use the -user and -passwd options to provide your
                  username/password for a list of URLs, or form an URL like:
                  http://username:password@hostname/file
                  File not found: '130.81.64.30:80/cnn/bestoftv/2006/06/26/larry.king.monday.cnn.ws.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf'
                  Failed to open http://130.81.64.30:80/cnn/bestoftv/2006/06/26/larry.king.monday.cnn.ws.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf.

• robatino
                    robatino
                    2006-06-28

CNN has both free video and subscription video.  Probably the second URL is higher quality or priority for subscribers.

• robatino
                    robatino
                    2006-06-28

Is it possible that the reason mplayerplug-in is looping so many times is that it's trying to access the second URL, and instead of giving up immediately when it's told that it requires authentication (which it should), retries the same large number of times that it would for a sporadic-type error?  (I'm just guessing at how mplayerplug-in works.)

• robatino
            robatino
            2006-06-27

One detail I forgot to mention - when I first reported this problem, I was using a different machine - it happens on both.  Both use integrated video.  The first has a Gigabtye GA-7VKMLS motherboard, the second is a Dell Dimension B110 with some kind of Intel 865 chipset, I don't know exactly which one.

• robatino
      robatino
      2006-06-28

I just found that even though it APPEARS to be an infinite loop, if I wait about 1 or 2 minutes, it eventually plays!  The natural assumption would be that it's downloading the entire file and won't play until it's done, but this is not the case - the file doesn't get downloaded into /tmp at all (and I know all the places to look), just 3 mplay?????? text files (for most video files, there's only one).  However, this still appears to be some kind of bug, since it loops so many times that I can start playing the file manually by reading the text file faster than mplayerplug-in plays it.

• robatino
      robatino
      2006-06-28

I tried viewing 2 videos, the first one looped 101 times, the second 125 times.  So the number of loops isn't fixed, and I don't think there's a fixed time limit either, since the loop time seems fairly constant, somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds.

• Kevin DeKorte
        Kevin DeKorte
        2006-06-28

Give me a specific link that I can test on so I can see this. I am NOT seeing this in my testing.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)