v2.0 and mozilla-devel

Help
2004-02-12
2004-02-16
  • I enjoy the steady progress of mplayer-plugin and look forward to testing the v2-series. However, I don't fancy downloading whole of mozilla-devel when I probably just need a subset of the header files. Can't you just include the files in the mplayerplugin tar-ball? In addition I wonder what version of mozilla-devel you are developing against?

Regards,
    Hans

PS! If somebody who has compiled v2.0 would fancy to send me just the files needed from mozilla-devel, that would be great...

• Kevin DeKorte
      Kevin DeKorte
      2004-02-12

Actually I think there are about 50ish files that are included. I would prefer not to include them so that I don't have to try mozilla bug fixes. Also, the gecko-sdk is an option. Look in the email archives for how to use that. Also, there are library issues as well.

Kevin

• Thx for updating the download package with info about the gecko-sdk. (It was a 6 MB download, but not that bad.) I now have a working 2.11 :-)

Regards,
        Hans

• Kevin DeKorte
          Kevin DeKorte
          2004-02-16

Excellent...

• Anonymous
      2004-02-12

Um, what email archives?

I have just downloaded the 1.4.1 gecko SDK and the mozilla 1.0.2 source code, but what do I do with it?  All this stuff is very new to me.  I just got mplayer compiled and working.

Armand

• Kevin DeKorte
        Kevin DeKorte
        2004-02-12

See this page: http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/download.html

The files you have are too old and probably won't work.

Kevin

• Anonymous
          2004-02-12

Either I am blind or you just changed that page...

;)

Thanks

• Kevin DeKorte
            Kevin DeKorte
            2004-02-12

I changed it about 2 hours ago

• Anonymous
      2004-02-12

OK, I followed your directions with gecko sdk 1.6.  The ./configure --with-gecko-sdk=/home/alowe/gecko-sdk was working quite well, but after a while I got the following:

checking for mozilla-plugin... Package mozilla-plugin was not found in the pkg-config search path.
      Perhaps you should add the directory containing 'mozilla-plugin.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
      No package 'mozilla-plugin' found

FYI, I'm running Solaris 9 with Netscape 7, and can't find 'mozilla-plugin.pc' anywhere.

• Kevin DeKorte
        Kevin DeKorte
        2004-02-12

Autoconf is not supposed to check for mozilla-plugin if the gecko-sdk is specified...

See if a Makefile was created

• Kevin DeKorte
      Kevin DeKorte
      2004-02-13

Oh... if you had been reading the mailing list you would know that there are new configure.in and Makefile.in files that you need to build with the --with-gecko-sdk option. You can get them from CVS here:  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mplayerplug-in/mplayerplug-in/

Get configure.in, configure, Makefile.in and that should fix your problem.

Kevin

• Anonymous
        2004-02-13

ok, got the updated files and tried it again - this time I got a Makefile

But when I type make I get:

Source/plugin-support.cpp: In function `char* getURLFilename(char*)':
        Source/plugin-support.cpp:88: error: `rindex' undeclared (first use this function)
        Source/plugin-support.cpp:88: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
        make: *** [plugin-support.o] Error 1

I tossed in -
        #include "strings.h"
        - in line 2 of plugin-support.cpp and make completed compiling

I placed mplayerplug-in.so in my netscape plugins folder, and mplayerplug-in.xpt in the components folder.  However, when I check "Help - About Plug-ins", I don't see mplayerplug-in anywhere, and media embedded in webpages bring up that default "click to download plugin" dialog - as if the plug-in is not present.

This is the same netscape plugins folder where I tried Fredrik Hbinette's Plugger, which did appear in the About Plug-ins window but did not work in Netscape 7.

• Kevin DeKorte
          Kevin DeKorte
          2004-02-13

Try putting both files in $HOME/.netscape/plugins  create the directory if it is missing.

• Anonymous
            2004-02-13

nope.  nada.

Tried $HOME/.mozilla/plugins too

• Kevin DeKorte
              Kevin DeKorte
              2004-02-13

if you type about:buildconfig in the Location

1. does it work
              2. does the compiler that netscape was compiled with match the compiler you are using?
              3. Can you try the plugin with mozilla and see if that makes a difference?

• Anonymous
                2004-02-13

nope, nothing comes up with about:buildconfig

about:   comes up with
                Netscape 7.0

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; SunOS sun4u; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020921 Netscape/7.0

• Kevin DeKorte
                  Kevin DeKorte
                  2004-02-13

I have commited some changes to CVS that should fix all the build problems on Solaris 9 with the gcc tool chain. I have tested that the plugin builds and is recognized by Mozilla 1.5 from blastwave.org

• Anonymous
                    2004-02-16

Thanks Kevin.

I installed Mozilla from blastwave.org, and it gave me error messages from mplayerplug-in.so that led me to the root of my problems in Netscape.

While compiling mplayerplug-in, I just manually typed:
                    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

But apparently this path is also needed by Netscape/Mozilla while starting/running mplayerplug-in.

Now things are working much better - other than some codec issues which I will solve tomorrow.

Thanks again!
                    Armand

• Matthew Balman
      Matthew Balman
      2004-02-13

uhh, this may sound blasphemous but there should be prebuilt packages for your platform if it's Linux based. If you use mandrake or redhat you should be able to get RPMs of everything mozilla from www.rpmfind.net.

If you're using suse, just do apt-get goodness. I usually don't compile bigger packages like mozilla or X or openoffice etc :)