Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Multiple independent pptp VPNs

Help
Jim Bell
2013-05-02
2013-05-07
  • Jim Bell
    Jim Bell
    2013-05-02

I'm using mpd5 with an minimally-modified mpd.conf from mpd.conf.sample, with individual logins & IP's assigned from a secrets file, for a single pptp VPN server used by windows clients. It works great.

But instead of a single pptp VPN, I'd like to serve out two or three VPNs, all pptp, and each isolated from all others.

How do I achieve this?

• You can simply duplicate your config's section "pptp_server", but change "ippool" and "set pptp self" parameters.

• Jim Bell
    Jim Bell
    2013-05-03

Thanks for your help! I was able to get mpd5 configured, but my effort ultimately failed.

I duplicated the pptp_server (and added the load for it under "default:"), but also had to give unique names to the bundle and link templates. I ran the second on port 2723. (Running mpd5 from the command line was most helpful in troubleshooting.)

However, it seems that Windows rasdial (pptp/vpn) client has port 1723 hard-coded into it. Attempts to specify a different port fail (e.g., "mydomain.com:2723" or "12.34.56.78:2723"), with it trying to resolve that as a host name. I could find no way around it, and found web pages suggesting this is the case.

This is Windows 7 (among others), and I get "The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve."

I looked at some sort of DNS trickery, too, but that's not possible either. (DNS doesn't deal with ports.)

A second NIC on my server would do it, but I don't have one. Some tricky port forwarding on my local Windows machine might work (i.e., forwarding my own 1723 to a different port on a remote machine), but isn't worth it. Perhaps the OpenVPN client can do it, but that's out of the scope of this effort. FYI.

• Try to add secondary IP address to your server, and put it into "set pptp self" parameters.