weirdnes: cant skip back tracks after mp3gain

Help
av8or
2012-06-16
2013-05-09
  • av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-16

so mp3gain is doing something to the files that makes it so you can't skip back tracks on mine and my wifes mazda cx-5's

you can go past them, then I<< track back to earlier ones while playing mp3s
    run mp3gain on them, and it wont do it anymore, just goes back to beginning of track
    thought maybe it was teh advanced track data it does that causes id3 problems on some players so had the program remove all those tags, they still wont track back, so must be something else going on that stops the player from going back to previous tracks
    any thoughts?

• That is strange.  Perhaps it *is* something with tags that makes the stereo act goofy.  I would try using something like Foobar2000 to fix the tags.  I'd set it to only use the tags you want, whether that's id3v1 or id3v2, I don't know, but those are probably safe bets for compatibility with the stereo.  And then have it rebuild the mp3 stream.  This will ensure you've stripped any and all tags and then rewrites only the ones you specify to the files.  It's possible mp3gain has written APE tags and the stereo isn't aware of them and it makes it do out of the ordinary things.  If the files do have APE tags you should see a checkmark for that in Foobar2000 when you right-click a file, Tagging, MP3 Tag Types.  Even if you don't, rebuilding the stream might still solve the problem.  Right-click a file or group of files, Utilities, rebuild MP3 stream.

• av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-18

yeah it shows ape tags under 'tagging,mp3 tag types'

but when i select all the files and try to utilities-rebuild mp3 stream the only option under utilities is 'save as playlist'

• I would think that unchecking APEv2 and updating files would be enough.  The other step likely wouldn't be necessary.  I've currently got v1.1.6 of Foobar2000 installed, which I believe isn't the latest, and when I select multiple files it still shows me the 'rebuild stream' option.  Which version did you try?

• av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-18

found the problem i was having with utilities, i have a few wma's scattered in the files so when one is selected it disables that option for all, so just doing the fix in batches, i'll report back later on if it works

• Aha!  Yeah, that'll do it. ;)  Yeah, lemme know if it worked or not.

• av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-18

well got them all changed (except the wmas obviously) and still wont skip back…
    put drive back in, selected all the mp3's and checked the tagging and it still showed ape selected so unselected them and running the utility rebuild stream again
    if still doesn't work, suggestions?

• Have you updated the tags with the WMA files excluded?

• av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-18

yeah, thats what i'm doing now, i selected all the mp3's rightclick-tagging-mp3 tags  and unselected ape, 'ok'
    then rightclick-utilities-rebuild mp3 stream
    its halfway thru that now, when its done i'll put it back in car and try again

• av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-18

nope no dice, still doesn't skip back after unchecking ape and rebuilding, open to more suggestions
    thanks for all your help too btw

• Strange.  I had an '07 Mazda 6 that also had steering wheel controls.  I don't know if your vehicle does or not, but I'm wondering if there wasn't a coincidental button failure.  Does the button work when in radio mode?  And if it has steering wheel controls, same problem there?  The only other thing I could think of would be maybe it doesn't like id3v2 tags.  Do you remember if the files had them before?  Might not be as common today, but a few years back most car stereos would only like id3v1 tags, so this may not be the issue after all.

• av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-18

it doesn't matter if you use the steering wheel or screen controls, duplicated the results on my wifes cx-5 tracks skipped back fine before, run mp3gain, no more track back

not sure what version of tags i had before

• ptfitzy
    ptfitzy
    2012-06-18

I had a Ford Explorer that when I turned off the car, the CD would go back and start the CD over from the beginning. The Dealer fixed it so it would continue from where it was when I turned off the car and start it back up whether it was MP3's or CD's.
    I don't think this is much help to you, but thought I would let people know.

• Do you have another drive you can try with a handful of mp3s that you haven't ran through mp3gain?  If it still occurs then, maybe pulling the fuse for the radio will reset it.

• av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-19

well this is occurring on two different cx-5's mine and my wifes, she has a different brand/size of thumbdrive and hers would back track on files she downloaded, but not mine, then ran mp3gain on it and none of the track back now on hers either

• Then I guess my next question is, do you still have some files where it behaves properly?  If so, load them up in Foobar2000 and see what tag types are currently there.  Could also try replaygaining the originals with Foobar2000, instead.  But I still suspect it might be a tag issue.

• av8or
    av8or
    2012-06-19

i dont think we still have the originals, i'd have to check with her but wont have much time to play around with it for a couple days

• Whenever.  Throw a reply up when you get around to it. ;)