Help
2015-03-26
2015-03-27
  • Chip Phelps

Chip Phelps - 2015-03-26

I've got an MP3 file that is giving several stream errors in MP3 Diags:

bc - (not worried)
    an - (not worried)
    kc - Unknown stream found... (not sure what this data is)
    ak - Invalid MPEG stream... (not sure what this data is)
    ak - Invalid MPEG stream... (not sure what this data is - Yes Twice)
    aa - Two MPEG audio streams found... (not sure what this data is)

The thing is this came from Amazon as a purchased MP3 file (album), and I'm wondering if they are embedding extra content in the files we purchase and download that is showing up as errors in MP3 Diags.

Thanks!

• Ciobi

Ciobi - 2015-03-27

I looked at the file and listened to it and I'm pretty sure what MP3 Diags is right (arguably without the twice repeated ak error):

I listened with 2 players and after around 31 seconds there's a glitch in the audio, just where MP3 Diags detected that the first "audio stream" ends.

What you are supposed to have in this file are 4 parts.
    1) ID3V2.30, with artist, song, album info (including cover art)
    2) LAME header, which is needed by some players to detect the length of the song
    3) MPEG Audio, which is the actual audio part
    4) ID3V1, which is an older version of ID3V2.3.0, with less data

What happens is that a small part of the file is corrupted inside the audio part, and MP3 Diags detects that. It assigns some identity to every part of the file and because of this corruption it finds 2 audio parts and an "unknown" part rather than a single audio part, and this triggers a number of errors.

Now, you may wonder why isn't there just a single error telling that the audio part is corrupted. The reason is that it would be hard to do and not particularly useful if you start using MP3 Diags more. It depends on the actual context what those errors mean, and if the program gets the context wrong it might generate meaningless errors. The errors that are shown are lower level, but are much easier to get right and I'd rather leave it to an actual brain to interpret what they mean.

And why are there 2 instances of "ak"? Because they are at different locations in the file. If I wanted to take a closer look, I would actually need both locations.

In regard to the "extra content" that Amazon may be embedding, I don't see anything, and at any rate, it has nothing to do with these errors. Unfortunately the file is corrupted. Don't you hear anything strange after 30 seconds? If not, perhaps your player corrects the issue on the fly, but other players don't, so please try some other players. You could try to download it again, and if that doesn't help, you should complain to Amazon.

Hope this helps