Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

What is MP3Diags definition of 'truncated'?

2011-08-22
2013-04-22
  • Nick Easton
    Nick Easton
    2011-08-22

I have several hundred thousand mp3s with no significant issues except an unknown number of tunes with 'end of file' (abrupt (premature) audio) defects. (missing end-of-file audio)

Will truncation transformation identify such defective mp3s so I can delete them?

• Ciobi
    Ciobi
    2011-08-22

The note ae is sort of what you want but I don't think it's a good idea to erase files simply based on it. I've seen many files that had this note and still sounded OK. Many rippers seem to create files like this, and players don't complain, although as far as I can tell what the rippers do is incorrect. Here's what you could do, assuming only a small number of your files have this issue:

Go to Config - Others and check "Show export", then press OK. A new, "export" button should now be visible, as the second or third - see more about it here. Filter by the ae note. Press the "Export" button and export as M3U. Now open the M3U in your favorite MP3 player and listen to the end of these songs to decide if they should be deleted or not.

I did something like this on my files. It was more of a sampling - if one song in an album sounded OK I just assumed they were all OK. Once you decide that a file is OK you can apply a transformation called "Pad truncated audio", which just adds zeroes, making the note go away while the audio doesn't seem affected.

Now, if you're talking about hundreds of thousands of songs, this approach is probably not good enough but I'm afraid nothing more can be done at the moment. Doing this properly would require decoding the audio, and MP3 Diags doesn't do this and it isn't very likely to do it anytime soon, as I'm busy with other things and nobody offered to take over the project.

• Nick Easton
    Nick Easton
    2011-08-22

I have a folder I haven't dumped yet that has 7,300+ tunes which are from uncompleted torrent downloads left over when a hd crashed.  I'm guessing that the majority may be incomplete end-of-audio…I'll give your suggestion a shot.  Such damaged files import and play ok in my player (Media Center) but the audio has a premature ending.  Over several years I haven't found an app yet that can detect premature end-of-audio…

• Ciobi
    Ciobi
    2011-08-22

On more thing:

You asked what's MP3 Diags' definition for "truncated". As described here, the audio part of an MP3 file is made up of thousands of "frames". These frames have a well defined size, after which should follow either other frames or some non-audio data. What happens is that sometimes the last frame is shorter than it should be. I can tell that because either the file ends too soon (in which case I also generate note ja, besides ae) or some non-audio data starts too early (and for this I generate note jb). According to the specs that I found, this is incorrect, but rippers create such files and players play them just fine. Anyway, MP3 Diags calls such frames "truncated".