discogs - timing out

Anonymous
2011-08-27
2013-04-22

• Anonymous
    2011-08-27

Anybody else having trouble with Discogs lookups?

With version 1.0.08.053 it sends off a search and then waits. And waits … no results ever return. It just says "searching".

Used to work fine, but seems to have stopped.

• Anonymous
    2011-08-27

PS -- absolutely brilliant program! Thanks so much for it.

• Ciobi
    Ciobi
    2011-08-27

It's not about the MP3 Diags version. None works. It seems that there are some Discogs API changes. I'm looking into it …

• Ciobi
    Ciobi
    2011-08-27

There is a fix in Subversion for the Unstable branch. I should make an official unstable release in a few days and then I'll probably backport this change and a Gnome 3 improvement to the stable branch as well. As I said in my previous message, this change is needed because Discogs changed their API.

• Anonymous
    2011-08-27

Thanks Marian. I did some thinking, and think there's two problems.

First, as you mentioned, the discogs API is changing. However, the old one will work until December. , at which time version 1 won't work.

Secondly, I believe they started denying requests that don't have a User-Agent identification. See, eg: http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/topic/270594

When I add a user agent string to the headers in DiscogsDownloader.cpp, it starts working again. I added the following string at lines 622, 653, and 677, and things seem to work as expected.

header.setValue( "User-Agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98)");

Hope this is helpful, but it's probably short-term at best!

Cheers and thanks for all your work.

John

• Anonymous
    2011-08-27

Thanks for your reply and the fix in subversion!

• Ciobi
    Ciobi
    2011-08-28

I released 1.1.08 with this fix and some more. I should look at the 2.0 API, but not in the immediate future, because I don't have much time and it seems that the new API is still changing.